Prologue

He always hated his father. He despised him. He was never cared for. All he was to his father was a weapon. The one who would take his name once his time was up. The eight year old rebelled against him. He showed defiance. His blood would boil. The young boy never wasted a breath on him. He refused to breath the same air.

They moved around constantly to avoid getting caught. No one knew the man had a son. And he planned to keep it that way. He was already notorious for the crimes he committed. The last thing he needed was to get his son involved way before it was time for him to take over. They would settle down once he deemed it was safe. They never stayed more than two days. Making it difficult for the council to track him down. The routine went on for a long time. Eight long years of moving to places the council wouldn't find them until it was too late. But, something happened on one particular day that broke the eight year long routine.

"What are you doing?! You should be training!" he kicked the boy through a mountain.

The boy got back up without any effort. He's felt worse so it didn't affect him. He walked back to his father with a face void of emotion. Once he got back, his father yelled in his face. He kept a blank expression as insults and curses were thrown at him. He never flinched when he was picked up and being choked.

"You brat! You are my master piece! I created you to take my name and continue what I've started! How dare you disobey me!" he threw his son into the ground, creating a crater from the impact.

"Honestly, you're just like your mother. Pathetic and weak. Never listened to a word I say. She tried to escape from me with you in her arms many times. But I took care of her. Nothing can stop you from your destiny."

The eight year old was used to the abuse. He just shrugged them off like nothing had happened. He stood up effortlessly. He gave a harsh glare at the man and then returned to a neutral expression. They walked back to their temporary base. It was a cave that was filled with crystals and other ores and minerals. There was an abundance of them but the man ignored them and continued walking until they both reached the end of the cave.

The man set up his sleeping bag while his son laid on the cold, hard ground. He waited until darkness over took him.

"I'm so sorry. I love you," he heard someone say. It was warm and comforting. Though he didn't recognize the voice. He felt himself being picked up and buried in the warmth. After that, he fell into a deep sleep.

*Time skip*

The boy snuggled into the warmth, too tired and lazy to get up. He was about to fall back to sleep until he his eyes shot open and sat up. He looked around and saw himself inside a sleeping bag. But not any sleeping bag. It was his father's. But what was he doing in his father's sleeping bag? Did he put him in there? He shook his head, thinking that he sleep walked. Though, he's never did it before. There's a first time for everything, he thought with a shrug.

Suddenly, he heard noises coming from outside. He ran towards the noise and hid behind the crystals. He was always told to hide when they were found. He watched as his father killed soldiers of the royal army. He stumbled slightly and turned around. He walked back into the cave and turned to his son. They both stared into each other's eyes for what felt like years.

Then the man collapsed onto his knees and hugged the boy. His eyes widened and let out a slight gasp. His father was actually hugging him! He was showing affection! Something he's never done before! The man coughed out blood and gripped the eight year old's shoulders tightly.

"I'm so sorry....." he coughed. They boy's breath hitched. He couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Your mother..... she loved and..... cared for you...... I didn't realize..... how important you were...... until she died....... protecting you......"

For the first time in years, his emotions started to overwhelm him. He gritted his teeth as tears started gathering in his eyes.

"I loved your..... mother so much......" he coughed, "I couldn't.... describe the feeling..... of seeing her killed.... right before my eyes....."

Tears started to fall down his cheeks. Not bothering to wipe them. The man breathed harder every second.

"After that..... I made a promise to her..... and myself..... that I would protect you..... with my very life...... even though I had to.... act like a piece of shit..... towards you...." his grip on the boy tightened, causing him to wince a bit.

The eight year old looked at him with angry eyes, "Are you shitting me?! What're you trying to pull here, bastard?!"

"I know you..... hate me.... and you don't.... believe a word I say.... but believe me.... when I say this....." he held him in an embrace. He started putting the pieces together. The reason he felt a warm embrace every time he fell asleep. Why his father didn't kill him or abandon him. Why he saw sadness and remorse in his eyes. His father never hated him. He cared for him. He LOVED him! And all these years, he hated his father for what he has done to him. He never stopped to think about how he felt. The older man pulled his son into a strong embrace and shook slightly. He closed his eyes and smiled.

"I.... love..... you....."

After saying these three words, his arms hung on the ground and fell against the younger boy's body. He stood there, processing what had just happened. After seconds had passed, he hugged the body tightly. He screamed as tears fell down his cheeks. Letting out all of the emotional pain he had held in all these years. He shook violently as his grip tightened.

*Time skip*

He buried the body in the cave. It was decorated in bright, beautiful flowers. A huge chunk of crystal that acted as a headstone. His face was once again void of emotion. He looked down and held a necklace that was given to him from his father. He had no idea why he kept it. Maybe a small part of him wanted to keep it. And it was the right choice. If he had thrown it away, he wouldn't live with himself.

 If he had thrown it away, he wouldn't live with himself

He never forgave the man for what he went through. But he was still his father. He closed his hand around the necklace and left without a word. He was on his own. What will he do now?