“How many before you landed the snake eyes?” Steve asked.

                “Two. Third time’s the charm, I guess. So far, so good. I’m being careful now, especially after last time. But I think this will be the best one yet,” Maxx said and laughed. Steve joined in his laughter.

                “Way to go kid!” Steve said proudly. “I bet you’re grandpa is damn proud of you right now, rest his poor soul. And I know I am. Keep the game up, Maxx.”

                I hurried away into the living room as I heard them getting up to leave. I sat down on the couch and waited until they appeared in the room.

                Maxx sat next to me and wrapped his arm around me, pecking my lips. “Sorry. He was just making sure everything between me and my mom was good,” he said with a pleasant smile.

                Maxx was lying to me. Lying right to my face. But why? What had he and Steve been talking about? What game? What was up with the snake eyes thing? What had Chandler picked?

                Instead of feeling reassured, I was suddenly even more nervous and paranoid. Did what they had been talking about have something to do with me?

                My head started to pound a little. Was Maxx just playing with me? Was I some kind of game to him? Was that all this was?

                “MARK!”

                I jumped and nearly fell off the couch. Maxx’s arms shot out and wrapped around me securely, pulling me back up. “Easy Mark,” he said gently as he pulled me into his lap and kissed my forehead.

                Steve and Chandler were watching, looking confused and amused at the same time. Maxx ran his hand through my hair and frowned.

                “What’s wrong baby? You look sick,” Maxx mumbled into my ear.

                “I don’t feel good,” I said quietly. And I didn’t. I felt sick to my stomach with fear and paranoia. What in the hell was going on?

                Maxx stood up with me in his arms. “Dad, we’re going to take a nap in my room. You and Chandler can…I don’t know. Fuck whores, play video games. Whatever,” he said with a shrug.

                “Can do Maxx,” Steve said, jokingly saluting us as Maxx carried me out of the room.

                He brought me to the room he and Steve had been talking. He set me on the bed before shutting the door and joining me. He pulled the covers us and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close to himself.

                “Mark, what’s really wrong?” he asked, kissing my neck. “Something is bothering you, and I want to know what. Please tell me.”

                I turned to face him and gently stroked his cheek. “Do you love me Maxx? Do you truly love me?” I asked silently.

                “Of course I do Mark. How could I not?” he asked and moved to kiss me. I shifted so that his lips made contact with my cheeks. He frowned deeply, looking a little hurt.

                His arms tightened around me, and he looked into my eyes deeply. “Mark, I love you. I am in love with you. I’m not in this for sex. Tell me no when I go too far, and I’ll stop. I promise. I’m dating you and staying with you because I. Love. You.”

                He seemed surprised at his own words. The shock on his face had me dropping my eyes in guilt. He really did love me, and I had questioned that.

                “I’m sorry Maxx. I love you too,” I said and kissed him deeply.

                “I love you,” Maxx said in wonder as he pulled away from my lips. “I really love you Mark.”

                I snuggled up to him and rested my head on his chest, closing my eyes. “Yea, and I really love you back,” I mumbled sleepily before drifting off.

                                                                                                ***

                My eyes cracked open and I realized I was alone in the room. It must be Maxx’s room for when he stayed with his dad.

                I sat up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes, wondering how long I had been out for. I crawled out of the bed and left Maxx’s room.

                I went to the kitchen, where Maxx and Chandler were sitting with Steve, all of them with beer. Maxx had a disturbed look on his face, and Chandler was silently staring at his beer.

                Steve glanced at me as I entered the room and smiled at me. He got up and moved to the fridge, pulling out a beer. He handed it to me. “I won’t tell if you don’t,” he said with a wink, motioning at me to sit next to Maxx.

                I did, and Maxx forced a smile, wrapping an arm around my waist and kissing me gently. “Hey. You slept for two hours,” he said, his usual attitude snapping right back into his face. Still, I was wondering why he had looked so disturbed when I had first walked in.

                “I was tired,” I said with a shrug, taking a sip of the beer.

                “By the way Mark, I guess you already figured this out, but I’m the worst role model in the history of role models,” Steve said, leaning back and smirking as he took a swing of his beer. Maxx and Chandler snickered.

                “Aw dad, you’re not that bad,” Maxx said jokingly.

                “Maxx, I’m divorced for a reason,” Steve said and laughed. He got up and set his beer down. “Chandler, come help me get some food from the basement,” he said. Chandler hopped up and followed Steve into the basement.

                “Hey Maxx, why did your parents divorce?” I asked curiously. I was suddenly burning with curiosity to know.

                “My dad cheated on my mom,” Maxx said with an unconcerned shrug. “She found out and wasn’t too happy about that. My dad’s a bit of a…well, man whore. I’m not like that though!”

                I rested my head on his shoulder. “No, I don’t think you are,” I said, more to myself than to Maxx. I really didn’t think Maxx was that kind of guy.

                “I’m sorry I freaked out a little earlier. I’ve just…I’ve never been in love before,” Maxx said and laughed a little. “I’m scared I’ll fuck it up and hurt you.”

                I shook my head. “No. You won’t,” I said with a small smile. I took his hand in mine and turned my head, pressing my lips to his. “You won’t,” I repeated reassuringly.

                I put my head back on his shoulder as he began to gently rub my back, being careful of the still painful bruises that were there. Tomorrow, I would talk with Shaw and see what he thought of all of this. I was beginning to think that Maxx whatever Maxx was hiding, if it had even been anything, was something he was now trying to bury.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.N.- Sorry it took so long to update! There was a death in my family. Also, I know this chapter is really rushed and confusing. Sorry Dx I just wanted to update... But then I realized it sucked... Ah well.

What do you guys think Maxx's secret is? ;D