Only Us

MOST IMPORTANT A/N AT THE VERY END OF THE CHAPTER

- MUST READ -

------------

Chapter Thirty-Six: Only Us

[Isabelle's POV]

Waking up the next morning was unusual. For one thing, Chase wasn't there when I woke up, instead I'm left with a suspicious note from him saying that he's sorry that he left during the night because he had something he had to do at that time.

Well, in my mind, what event could Chase possibly have at 12 - 8am? That boy never wakes up in time for classes last time I checked. I decide that I wouldn't bombard him with questions since hopefully, our relationship had healed it's pain.

Walking down the quiet stairs and into the kitchen, memories of last night flooded my mind. Sometimes I wish dreams could be reality right now.

My mother, she has cancer. Breast cancer.

My father's in jail and won't be out for another three months... and my mom could possibly pass by then - no. No, this isn't happening. It can't be.

Placing my hands down on the island counter, my head was spinning.

Would that mean Rocco and I would be alone? Without a real family? Would we only have each other?

"Mornin' shithead." My head turns to look over my shoulder to find my older brother, Rocco, leaning against the door frame with an energy drink held firmly in his hand.

"Morning." I say rather dense, his eyes narrow down at me, intently watching my emotions.

"Is everything okay? Where's Chase?"

"He, um, He had to go during the night." I answer. Slience was filling the air, Rocco stands beside me by the island counter taking a sip of his drink. It was all fine, until-

"How long have you known about mom?" I burst, "How long did you know about her?"

His brows frowned forming wrinkle lines on top of his forehead, "I've know mom for my whole life. She's the one that gave birth to us, remember?" He said sarcastically, I roll my eyes.

Rocco must have not known that our mom told me about her health condition late last night.

"Rocco." I call out, his eyes meet mine, "How long have you known that mom has cancer?"

His brown eyes widen a little but quickly hides his emotions with a mutual face, "What are you talking about Isabelle?"

He's playing dumb with me.

"Mom, d-doesn't have cancer." He laughs fakely, "I don't know what you're talking abou-"

"She told me. Last night, mom told me she had cancer." I hold back painful tears that we're threating to come out, Rocco's eyes widen fully.

"She told you?"

"How long did you think you, mom and dad could keep it from me? Telling the whole family except me. Why? Do you think that I don't care? That I don't care about mom?"

"No, Isabelle-"

"Is it because I'm never around anymore? Because I'm so busy working on college?"

"Isabelle!" He shouts, me shutting up. My brother's hands raises up to my shoulders as he attempts to calm me, my vision becomes more blurry than before as I watch my brother.

"We never wanted to tell you because..." He trails off but then rephrases his sentence, "Mom never wanted to tell you because she didn't want you to worry."