Forty-Four - Will You

Will You

Alex takes my hand and drags me out onto the balcony of our brand new apartment. He kisses me.

‘Happy birthday,’ he laughs.

I pull my jacket around me and he wraps me in his arms.

‘How does it feel to be twenty?’

I smile and shake my head.

‘Compared to yesterday’s nineteen, no different,’ I laugh, ‘but compared to last year’s nineteen, I feel at least a year older.’

He kisses me again.

‘What was your favourite present?’ he asks.

‘Definitely the giant teddy-bear.’

‘Really?’ he laughs, ‘well, I have just one last present for you.’

‘You do?’ I ask excitedly.

‘Yes, I do,’ he turns me to face him, kneels on the ground and pulls a small, red, velvet covered box from his pocket, ‘Savannah, I love you. I can’t imagine being with any other girl. You are so beautiful and sweet and funny. Will you,’ he opens the box to show a dazzling white-gold, ruby encrusted ring, ‘will you do me the honour of being my wife?’

I am speechless. I stare down at the ring. Alex stands and takes the ring from the box.

‘I know its small,’ he laughs nervously, ‘but I was sure you’d love it anyway.’

My heart is pounding a million beats a second. I can’t breathe. The boy I love wants to marry me. I want to nod, but I’m too frozen with excitement.

‘Will you?’ he asks.

The end.