Thirty-One - Date Number Ten

Date Number Ten

‘So you say the Audi R8 is better than the WRX?’ Alex asks the dealer.

I play with the material of my gown, liking how it feels beneath my silk gloves. The dealer nods.

‘I’ll test drive the Audi then,’ Alex says.

‘I’ll get the keys,’ the dealer leaves.

‘What exactly is this date?’ I ask.

Alex takes out the worn list from his vest pocket.

‘Ten, dress to the nines, pretend to be married and test drive very expensive cars at an auto dealership,’ he reads, stuffing the paper back into the pocket.

He then takes out a pocket watch and pretends to check the time.

‘So, that’s why I’m wearing the rings,’ I take the glove off my left hand and admire the gold band and diamond engagement ring I’d borrowed from Charlene.

The dealer returns and leads us to the car. Alex slaps P plates on the front and back. Then he holds open the back passenger door for me. He takes the driver’s seat and the dealer takes the front passenger seat.

‘Aren’t you two a little young to be married?’

‘Well, are parents thought getting married now would be a great idea,’ I explain, ‘it meant that I only had to worry about one boy and could spend more time focusing on my studies.’

‘It was either marriage or boarding school for me,’ Alex shrugs.

I glare at him in the rear-view mirror.

‘But I still love her,’ he quickly adds.

I smile. The dealer shakes her head.

‘So, what do you think?’ she asks.

‘Well, smooth handling,’ Alex says.

‘Loving the leather seats,’ I add, ‘radio?’

The dealer clicks a button and music fills the car.

‘Clean sound,’ Alex and I say together.

We pull back into the dealership.

‘I like it but I think we need to keep looking,’ Alex says, ‘thanks for the drive though.’

We climb out of the car and run over to our own. We drive off, leaving the dealer standing in a stunned silence. We drive to another dealer and do the whole thing over again. Throughout the day, we test-drive five different cars.

‘The Audi was my favourite,’ I say as we pull into my driveway, ‘and I got lots of good photos.’

‘One of my favourite dates so far,’ Alex says.

He takes my left hand and kisses the rings.

‘Today was fun,’ I say and smile.

He leans over and kisses me.

‘Your room?’ he whispers.

‘Let’s go.’

We both get out of the car. At the front door, Alex opens it and then scoops me into his arms. I bundle up the skirt of my dress so it doesn’t drag. He carries me through the house and to my room. He closes the door and carefully lays me down on the bed, leaning over me. He kisses me slow and hard. His hands run over the zip of the back of my dress.

The next thing I know, my clothes are on the floor and I’m left sitting in a white lace bra and black undies and Alex is in his jeans. He leans in to kiss me again but I lean back.

‘What’s the matter,’ he whispers, decorating my cheeks and neck with kisses.

‘Can we slow down?’ I ask.

He leans back and stares at me.

‘Sorry,’ he picks up his jacket off the end of my bed and wraps it around my shoulders.

‘Thanks,’ I kiss him.

We sit in silence. I want to say something, but I’m not sure if I should.

‘We don’t have to talk about it,’ he says.

‘Talk about what?’ I say shyly.

I can feel a hot blush crawling up my neck.

‘You know,’ he stammers, ‘it.’

I giggle nervously and hide my face behind a curtain of my hair. Alex laughs. He takes my chin and turns me to face him again.

‘It’s ok,’ he whispers, ‘you don’t want to yet. I’m ok with that. I can wait.’

I smile and kiss him slowly.

‘Thank you.’

‘There’s no need to thank me. We’ll talk about when you’re ready.’

I smile and kiss him again.