Part 55

After breakfast has been scoffed down by us all, and the plates have been cleared away, Sophie and I make our way back up to the room I woke up in to get changed. I find the bags that I packed last night sitting in front of the chest of drawers. I look through them, trying to find my phone, but stop suddenly when I remember that Tanner broke it. I feel a lump starting to form in my throat, and I hold back my tears not wanting Sophie to see me upset. The phone had photos of Sophie as a baby, and I will never get them back. Trying to take my mind off the sadness I am feeling, I search through the bags for Sophie's clothes.

"What do you want to wear today, pumpkin?" I ask once I find the pile of clothes. I clear my throat when it comes out strangled.

"Dress!" she exclaims clapping her hands together. I bite my lip to stop the happy memories that I have lost the pictures for, come flooding back into my mind. I quickly pick out a sundress for Sophie, and clean underwear, before helping her into them. I root around in the bag again, finding her toothbrush and toothpaste.

"Come on, let's go and brush your teeth," I say with a forced smile. I try and soften it slightly, so it's not so obviously forced, as we walk across the corridor to the bathroom.

I pass the toothbrush to Sophie, watching as she brushes her teeth. How am I going pay for another phone? I haven't looked at the amount in our bank account, but I am certain that it's almost empty as a result of my mum buying alcohol and now drugs.

Sophie spits out the liquid in her mouth turning to me.

"You should brush your teeth, mummy." I give her a gentle smile.

"I will in a minute sweetie. Why don't you go down to the guys?" I suggest, moving out of the bathroom, toothbrush and toothpaste in hand. She grins up at me, running to the stairs. I watch as she steps down each step, checking that she's going down safely, until I know she's in sight of the guys and then I move back into the room.

After putting everything back in the bags, I fall onto the bed staring at the wall, my eyes unfocused partly because of the tears falling. I let out the silent sobs, mourning the loss of my evidence that there were happy times. I know I have them in my mind, but when I'm older and want to look back at photos, I won't be able to. I kick myself for not backing them up somewhere. I wipe the tears away from my face as I get ready for the day.

I walk out of the bathroom, and come face to face with Brody. I meet his grey eyes, and force a smile.

"Are you OK?" he asks. I nod, not trusting my voice to not give my emotions away.

"What's wrong?" he asks, his dark eyebrows drawing together over his eyes.

"It's nothing," I mutter going to move past him. He steps back in front of me, his head cocked to the side.

"Tell me, I might be able to help," he says, his eyes worried.

"Tanner broke my phone, meaning I've lost all my photos of Sophie as a baby," I tell him, the lump growing in my throat again and tears spilling out of the corner of my eyes.

"Bambi, that's not nothing," he says, his hands resting on my arms.

"You can't do anything, they're gone for good." His eyes look off into the distance, over my shoulder, before he pats my arms and returns his gaze to me.

"We might be able to get them back, we have your phone," he let me know. I feel hope rush through my body.

"Really?" He nods.

"we'll certainly try our best," he assures me. Without thinking, I lift my arms to his neck and pull his closer to me.

"Thank you so much, you don't know how much that means to me," I exclaim. I feel his hands move down my body, to my waist.