Chapter EightyOne - A Kiss Tonight

Jax and I had to juggle three babies as well as his car shop. It became so overwhelming that even I wanted to hire a nanny. Jax forgot how to watch babies and Mint was such an awakening to him that he offered to stay home. Ella and Bentley, at first, didn’t mind the new addition but when dinner came late or bath time was omitted in our usual routine, they started to feel a bit unnoticed. Ella whined for more attention while Bentley got in a lot of trouble.  I didn’t think having three kids was going to be a struggle but since they were very young, it was.

One day, Jax had to go to his car shop as I stayed home, feeding Mint. Ella and Bentley were asleep in their rooms as Jax packed his lunch. “You sure you’re going to be okay baby?” Jax asked.

“Yeah. If I need anything, I will call you. I am fine as of now.” I said. Mint was a breastfed baby so she clung on to me as she drank. I watch as Jax nodded and got his bags. He walked over to us and planted a big kiss on my lips. “I love you.” I whispered.

Jax smiled and touched Mint’s hand. She immediately gripped his fingers. “Looks like someone doesn’t want me to go. I’ll be back soon, though. Love you too.”

I nodded and watched him as he left the living room and into the front yard. His car roar to life as I fixed my gaze on the television screen. I flipped from cooking shows to cartoons to reality shows and shook my head. The worst thing about being a stay-at-home mommy was it made me stir crazy. I stayed indoors as the kids slept or played. I cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner and cleaned. Mint slept every four hours and she was up. I was working on and off the clock with all three babies. I started to feel alone like I couldn’t get away from this madness.

Slowly I closed my eyes and drifted to nap while Mint laid asleep in my arms…

~

I woke up to the sounds of crash and thumps from upstairs. I woke up and saw Mint on the floor as she lay there, motionless. I turned the television off as the sounds of the two children upstairs rang.

“GET ME OUT OF HERE!” Ella yelled.

“MOMMY! DADDY! MOMMY! DADDY! OUT! OUT! OUT NOW!” Bentley screamed.

I closed my eyes and opened them to see what time was it. It was fifteen past four and I shook my head. I was asleep for three hours! Oh no! I walked but I tripped on Mint’s blanket. To my surprise, Mint was there. “Oh no! oh no! Why is everything bad going to happen now?” I screamed.

I pulled Mint to my chest as I listened to her breathing. She was breathing but she didn’t make a sound. I slapped her cheek lightly to see if she stirred but she didn’t. I closed my eye but I knew she was sleeping. “She’s okay. She’s okay.” I said to myself as I picked her up and placed her in the pack and play. Finally, I decided to get the kids upstairs.

I opened Bentley’s room first and I saw toys and his blankets all over the room. “Bentley!” I yelled. Bentley stomped his feet against the bed and yelled, “Out now!”

One thing was certain was he had Linlee’s personality. I grabbed him out but he was soaking wet. I knew he wet through his pants. “Stay here so I can get your sissy.” I said when I placed him on the floor. I picked his stuffed animals and blankets and placed them in the crib. Then I watched as he left his wet trail as he crawled around the room.

I opened Ella’s room as she struggled to climb out of the bed. “Ella stop being crazy!” I yelled.

“Mommy I want my bed smaller so I can get out easily. I wet the bed! Look! See?” She asked when she pointed to her wet pants.

“Oh God, Ella. Please just be quiet!” I yelled. I needed to breathe. There was so many of them and I wish I had help. I lifted the bed rail down so Ella climbed out. I watched her as she looked through her dressers picking out a new pair of pajamas and then stripped herself out of them. Bentley looked through the room with his wet diaper in his hands.