Chapter SeventyFive - First Encounter

I travelled across the Manhattan bridge as the city lights dimmed from afar. Ella’s snores filled the car as the silence stopped. I turned the radio down and sighed. Behind me, I had Bentley, awake, and making sounds. Then to my right, I saw Ella. Ella was quiet as her brown hair flowed below her head.  She reminded me so much like Phil. Sometimes I wished Phil could have seen her. She was starting to look a lot like him. The resemblance was undeniable.

I looked back at the freeway and sighed. I was close to New York City and I was excited about it. I stared at the city lights and wondered what events would be in store for me. The hot summer night called for a good trip to the coast to witness the shores or a drive to the Hamptons. I was in awe of a good life we were going to have. When I pass the toll, I looked at the highlighting sign of “Welcome to New York” and I smiled. “Home,” I excitedly muttered.

I drove to the hotel we registered before moving from Prairie. The hotel was a tall eighty floor building made of glass. Wind Breaker was written over the top as I looked at the cube skyscraper. I pulled the RAV4 up to the valet and nodded at the man.

“Hello, ma’am. Welcome to Wind Breaker. I will be taking care of your car. Please take this receipt upon your departure.” He said.

“I’m not leaving though. We’re here to stay.” I said.

“Of course. I will see you soon. Enjoy your stay.” He said.

I nodded and got out of the car. Ella woke up at the sound of my seat belt unbuckling. I turned to her and smiled. Maybe a smile would cheer her up. She started to whine and she lifted her hand up in the air. “Don’t worry baby. I’m coming.” I said.

I grabbed Ella out of her car seat and placed her down. Her yellow sundress that hasn’t been changed since yesterday was still on her. Then I grabbed Bentley’s car seat out. We walked to the lobby and I could hear curious Ella. They took my luggage out of the car and loaded in a transporter.

“Name?” The girl asked.

“Vivian Houston.” I answered.

The girl rummaged through the drawers and then went to the computer.  She shook her head a few times and then looked at me. “When did you book your stay?”

“About yesterday.”

“Vivian, your room looked like it has been changed. We do have another available space right now.  However it isn’t a three bedroom suite. It is a one bedroom economy room. Would you like to move in there?” She asked.

“No! I want my three bedroom luxury suites! I paid at least a fortune for it! Probably more than you’ll ever make in a week!” I yelled.

The girl nodded and picked up the phone. She looked like she was calling her manager.  She frantically knocked her water bottle off and she shook her head. I growled and looked at Ella. “It’ll just be a minute, Ella.” I said. Then I noticed Ella wasn’t here.

I panicked and took Bentley out of his carseat. “Ella!” I screamed. “Ella where are you?” I yelled. I looked around as I held Bentley in my arms. I looked at the lady behind the counter. “Do you know where she went?” I asked.

The girl shivered and shook her head.

“Oh my fucking God! You guys all suck!” I yelled.

Immediately, I ran around the lobby and screamed for Ella. I looked through the gift shops and the convenience corner. I panicked as there was no sign of her.

“Ella! Where are you? Say mommy! Where are you?” I yelled.

I looked around and ran to the bathroom. Maybe she went potty. Did she know how to use the toilet? I shivered and looked in each stall, unaware of its occupation. Suddenly I noticed the bathroom was empty. There was no Ella!