Chapter Sixty Nine

"So now we'll welcome to the stage Shawn Mendes and his lovely wife Reese Matthews," the talk show host smiles. Shawn leads me out into a pit of bright lights and sits me down before sitting himself next to me. "You're here," she squeals.

"We're here," I giggle back.

"So Shawn tell us what it's been like since the incident and till now?" Her eyebrows furrow.

"Well, it hasn't been bad. It's definitely been a little more work but it's fine," he nods holding my hand.

"And you Reese," she speaks a little louder.

"I can hear fine?" I nod at her, letting it come out as more of a question than a statement.

"Of corse you can," she laughs as does the audience and Shawn. "So how was the surgery? And your hair? It's all gone," she laughs mocking me in a sense.

"Well," I start only to get cut off.

"Roll the clip," she points. In the background they play a clip of me in the hospital. Me on laughing gas and about a hundred other drugs making me a little loopy. My face drops.

"Smile," Becky mouthes to me. "Cry later," she points. "Smile," I do as told and laugh falsely.

"So the surgery?" She smiles as they stop it.

"I think it went really well actually," I nod. "I had a mishap with my stitches but in the end it was just fine," I nod.

"Mishap with your stitches?" She seems intrigued. "Tell us more," a camera gets closer to my face.

"They used the wrong thread and they came undone," I shrug.

"Are you guys gonna sue the doctor, hell sue the hospital," she throws her arms up for emphasis.

"Why? It was just a mistake and everyone makes them. We're just thankful it was minor, right Shawn?" I smile.

"Well actually I hadn't told you yet but I was planning on suing the hospital," he nods.

"But we agreed that it was a simple mistake and it could've gone much worse remember?" I lick my lips. He just shrugs while the interview continues.

"And Shawn we've heard little Reese has to drink from a bottle now? True or false?" She uses baby talk only to multiply my embarrassment.

"True," he nods. "I have to feed it to her every six hours."

"How cute," she smiles. "If you were five," her and everyone else starts to laugh along with Shawn yet again.

"So how about your career?"

"Well," we both say at the same time.

"Oh I'm sorry babe you go first," he smiles at me.

"Oh well I was talking to you Shawn," she gives me a fake apologetic smile. "Will it be on hold now for your wife's injuries?" Her eyebrows furrow.

"No," he shakes his head. "We'll both normally be going back to work," he nods.

"Well folks I'm afraid that's all the time we have." She pouts into the camera. "We'll see you next week," and with that a loud bell rings showing that it's over. I look at Shawn very hurt as I stand up and walk away.

"Hey baby what's wrong?" He follows me.

"Don't call me that," I push through the crowds of people and to the back.

"Princess the cars this way," he points.

"That's why I'm going this way," I call a taxi not wanting to have to be bothered by Shawn.

"Princess why are you so mad?" He pouts. I ignore him turning my back to face him. "Are you gonna give me the silent treatment?" He pouts wrapping his arms around me. "Princess," he kisses my jaw and neck. I push him away and wait for my taxi to show up. "I don't like the silent treatment." He pouts as the taxi pulls up. I don't say another word to Shawn I just get in and watch him watch the car drive away as I give the taxi driver the address. Knowing Shawn he'll think I'm going to my parents' place so that's where he'll be.

"Thank you," I smile giving him the money before getting out and walking inside. He drives away and I walk in.

"Come here," Ian pouts.

"That was the most embarrassing thing to have ever happened to me." I cry. "And he didn't do anything," I sniff. "What a catch, the guy I married can publicly humiliate me, but telling them to stop would be too much," I roll my eyes.

"He means well," Ian reassures.

"I don't care if he means well, he didn't fucking stand up for me," I scan the room to make sure Adams not around.

"I know," he kisses my cheek.

"He'll be back any minute." I shrug. "Might as well go hide now while I still can,"

"Go," he nods. I walk up the stairs and into our closet climbing the shelves to where I usually go when I'm mad at him. He never knows where I am. I always have to tell Ian to make him go downstairs before I come down so he won't know where I am.

"She's not at her parents' and I don't know where she could be," he throws his keys letting the door slam shut. We live in a calm little cul-de-sac not many cars pass threw and there not many places to go.

"I don't blame her Shawn," Chrissy buts in. "Some husband you are," her eyes roll.

"That's what everyone's telling me, but she is missing and I need your to help me find her." He says calmly.

"She's not missing." Ian shrugs. "I know where she is," he nods.

"Than tell me, I have to find her and figure out what I did wrong." He groans. I jump off of the shelf and march down the stairs.

"You don't know what you did?" My arms cross.

"No," he shakes his head.

"You are the worst husband ever," I shake my head. "You go on national television and tell them oh yeah she uses bottles, yeah we are gonna sue the hospital, what's the harm in laughing and my wife, right after she had brain surgery? What's the harm in making fun of her even after she was worried about loosing me over the fact that she had to shave her head?" I mock him.

"Reese I'm sorry," he pouts.

"No you're not, you're just sorry that I caught you," I poke his chest. "You didn't even stand up for me, you just made me feel worse about myself," I look at my finger and he watches.

"Don't do it," he shakes his head as I grab the ring. "Don't do it," he shakes his head again.

"You aren't holding up your end of the bargain Shawn," I shrug. "If I can't trust you to stand up for me how can I trust you with my life? With the life of my children?" She furrows her eyebrows.

"Reese please don't take it off," he shakes his head.

"I think we were too young Shawn," I place it in the palm of his hand.