Chapter Forty

May thirty first

"Shawn," I whisper as he lay asleep next to me.

"Hmm?" He blinks turning to me.

"Shawn?" I whisper again.

"Is something wrong babe?" He looks at me weird.

"My water just broke," I whisper again, which is enough to get him up and out of bed.

"What do you need?" He's quick to kneel next to me.

"I don't know I've never done this before either," I throw my hands up. Sitting on the edge of the bed.  

"Hospital?" He bites his lip.

"Probably," I nod standing slowly trying to keep myself calm. The first contraction hits and both Shawn and I are on the floor.

"Breath darling breath," he grabs my hands kissing my forehead. I sigh as it blows over but not after any longer than three minutes. "Ian!" Shawn yells after calling his parents. It is five in the morning. "We're going to the hospital," he helps me down the stairs.

"Thank you for doing this," I kiss his cheek.

"For doing what?" He looks at me weird while getting me my jacket.

"Everything," I sigh holding my stomach and leaning against the door. His hand run over my arms and down my back before digging into my lower back. He continues the process until the contraction blows over.

"You and Adam are my babies and I would do anything for you two," he smiles and helps me into the back of the car.

"I'll drive," Ian nods at him walking out.

"Where's my bag?" I gasp.

"It's in the trunk baby," he kisses my neck. "You ok?" He touches my stomach gently and I hiss. "Ok," he chuckles moving his hands.

"I'm sorry Shawn," I pout. "It just hurts,"

"I know princess," he runs his hand over my back. "I know," he nods. "Short breaths," he nods breathing with me as he wants me to breath. "Good baby we're almost there," he reassures. We drive to the Toronto hospital. It is a little farther, in fact close to an hour away but it was my decision and I wanted this.

"My god," I groan leaning backwards. He sits behind me letting me lay my body against his. I lift my shirt looking at my bump. "I can't wait to meet him," I whisper trying to hide my pain with excitement. "He'll be here soon,"

"He will be won't he," Shawn smiles kissing my cheek as we pull up to the hospital. We get out of the car walking in and to the maternity section as we've practiced many time.

"Reese back again," she smiles.

"Mhm," I nod trying to smile back. Shawn holds me up so I don't fall to the floor.

"Follow me," she gives me a wheelchair so I no longer have to walk. Shawn sets me down in it and pushes me to where the nurse is. Ian requested to stay in the waiting room and told us he'll send Shawn's family up when they get here.  "You'll have a nurse in soon. Do you know approximately how long you've been in labour?" She sets blankets up on the bed for me.

"An hour?" I look at Shawn. "Hour and a half," I nod as does he.

"Alright thanks," she nods walking out. "In the meantime why don't you try and get some sleep or something you'll need energy for the birth." She nods standing at the door. I nod back grabbing Shawn's hands.

"You want an epidural?" He laces our fingers together.

"No, I won't drug our baby," I scoff.

"Alright love, hang in there." He mumbles kissing my forehead.