Chapter 28

Demi's Pov

"YES!" I replied, really excited as he pulled the ring out of the box

"I wanted to show you that I truly mean that this is forever and so I got the word 'forever' engraved inside the ring" he said as he showed me

I smiled with excitement and let him slip it onto my ring finger.

I guess Joe's parents heard what was going on because they were now standing at the door congratulating us on the engagement. Was the door open all this time? Had they heard me sing?

They didn't mention anything so I assumed that they had opened the door because Joe had told them when he was going to propose.

I was smiling ear-to-ear and couldn't stop. I never imagined that this would happen, not in a million years.

All of us then made our way out of the music room; Joe and I went into my room and Joe's parents went downstairs. When Joe and I got into my bedroom we sat on the bed, I said "I've been thinking, and I think I have thought of a good name for little one. If its a girl." 

"What's the name?" he asked

"Alexia Rose" I said and then immediately felt embarrassed

"No, I actually love those names; and put together they sound even better" Joe said

"Really?" I asked, still feeling embarrassed 

"Yes! All we have to do is hope that it's a girl because we haven't come up with a boy's name yet"

I placed one hand on my stomach as I felt a bit of a pain in my side, it wasn't the baby kicking, it was something different. I asked Joe to go and get his mom, I knew she would probably know what it was. 

Joe quickly went downstairs and asked his mom to come upstairs. When she got into my room she said "What's wrong Demi?"

"It's gone now" I said "But I had a pain, not the baby kicking, a pain" I said nervously

"How long did it last?" she asked

"About a minute" I replied

"That's ok" she said 

I sighed with relief 

"Its a practice contraction, they're called Braxton Hicks"

"So there's nothing to worry about?" I asked

"No" she replied "But I would mention it at your next ultrasound because it is a little early to be experiencing them" she continued

"Ok, thank you" I said smiling slightly, still a little worried

Joe's mom then left the room and went back downstairs 

"What's wrong?" Joe asked, sensing that something was wrong

It was just then that I noticed that I was playing with my ring, twisting it around my finger and I realised how that he could be thinking that I was getting second thoughts about marrying him.

"I'm just worried that if it's early to be experiencing Braxton Hicks, then, maybe something is wrong"

"Do you want me to phone the doctors? Would a bit of reassurance help?" he asked

I nodded my head

Joe then went out of the room to make the call. While he was gone I begun thinking and Joe and I getting married. Joe had been so kind and caring and he gives me time and hasn't pressured me into doing anything that I don't want to, like, sleeping in the same bed. But, now that we are going to be getting married, I think I need to get over being worried that he'll hurt me and I think I'd like him to sleep in the same bed as me. 

I mean, I'm pregnant with his baby and he didn't hurt me or leave me, which mean I should begin to trust him; I don't know, I just find it hard. 

Soon, Joe came back into the room and said "They have an appointment for in an hours time so I booked it; it means we'll have to leave in about 30 minutes"

"That's fine" I replied

There was a little silence as Joe sat on the bed next to me "Joe, I was thinking about you and I when you went to make the phone call" I said

Immediately I saw a worried expression come across his face "Don't worry, It's nothing bad" I smiled

"What is it?" he said in a soothing voice as the worried expression left his face

"I've been thinking how kind and caring you've been towards me and how you haven't pushed me into doing anything I didn't want to do. I was also thinking about how as we are getting married now, it seems a little strange that we don't sleep in the same bed. It would make me happy if we would start doing that" I said

Joe face lit up, he pulled me into a hug and said "I was hoping that one day you'd say that, it feels empty having a relationship but having no one to sleep next to at night" he replied

I smiled, I was pleased that Joe agreed

He let go as the baby kicked, I laughed because the baby was possibly telling Joe to stop hugging me, he laughed to.

-An hour later-

We were sitting in the doctors office and I was explaining that I had a pain earlier and I just wanted some reassurance that the baby was ok. The doctor asked me to get onto the bed and I did so.

He moved the scanner over my belly until he found a heartbeat. I smiled. I was pleased that my baby was ok.

After the scan I got off the bed and then the doctor explain that everything was fine and that I didn't need to worry that I had experienced Braxton Hicks a little early. But, he also explained that if the pains become regular before my due date becomes near that we were to call for an ambulance to give me some help.

As my next scan was quite close the doctor decided to book it for a later date so that I wouldn't have to come in for another scan too often. She booked another scan for a months' time.

I understood it all made sense and I felt relieved that everything was ok. 

Joe's Pov

We begun to walk home as the doctors wasn't far from my house. As we turned the corner I saw the flashing of cameras and my dad's car. I quickly but gently pulled Demi into the passage that lead to my backyard.

She looked confused, she obviously hadn't seen the paparazzi. I explained and she nodded her head in agreement that I had done the right thing. 

We walked down the passage and to the gate, which I unlocked and we walked into the backyard after I had made sure to lock the gate again. We then walked into the house.