Chapter 4

Demi’s Pov

We finished up our ice cream and then headed back out to the car, he drove back to his place in silence, an awkward silence. When we got back to his place we found it empty, I guess his mom and dad are out at work or something.

 We walked into the living room and Joe sat down, I just stood there

 “You can sit down, you know” he said

 I nodded my head and sat down on the couch across from him.

 “So, do you have any brothers or sisters?” I asked quietly, breaking the silence again.

 “Yeah…” he sighed “Two annoying brother, but they are hardly ever here”

 “Names?” I asked

 “Well, you met my younger brother Nick earlier, and I have another brother called Kevin who is older than me” he replied

 “Oh”

 “Yeah…” he sighed again

 “What’s the matter?” I asked softly

 “It’s just…Never mind”

 “Okay” I smiled a little

Joe’s Pov

I feel really sorry that Demi has no friends, no family, nobody; she has nobody, well that needs to change. It can’t be nice living on the streets having no-one you can trust, no-one you can turn to.

I placed my hand on my chin in thought, how can I get Demi to trust me? I want to show her that there is more to people than just abandonment. People can be trusted and people aren’t always going to hurt her.

“What’s the matter?” Demi asked softly

 “I just…Never mind” I replied

 "Okay” she said smiling a little and playing with her fingers.

I really wanted to tell Demi that she could trust me but I know that she will just turn away and probably think that I am going to kick her out on the streets again and make her go back to square one. Well, that’s not going to happen, it doesn’t matter how much my parents say that I shouldn’t have picked her up off the street, she is here to stay and I want her to realise that.

I noticed her smile kind of turn into a frown “Want another game of pool or something?” I asked

“Okay” she sighed a little, but then looked up at me and smiled

We both walked into the games room and I picked up the cues, “Do you want to play pool, air hockey or table tennis?” I asked

“Air hockey” she replied

We walked over to the air hockey table and I turned it on at the wall, I then grabbed the puck and my mallet, Demi grabbed hers. I placed the puck on the table and I hit it gently towards Demi, she wacked it back towards me and scored *ding ding ding* the machine sounded as it became 1-0 to Demi.

“I didn’t know you were good at this too!” I said shocked

“Hmm” she shrugged

I grabbed the puck from the slot on the side of the table and placed it on the table, I took a shot, but Demi blocked her goal well by hitting the puck back towards me. I hit it back to her and then she hit it hard back towards me and scored again *ding ding ding* the machine sounded. It was now 2-0 to Demi.

I picked up the puck and placed it down on the table again, this time she wasn’t going to score, I hit the puck hard and it went straight into her goal.

“Awwh” she sighed, then smiled at me

“Yes!” I said as I punched the air

Demi grabbed the puck and we continued playing the game until it was 9-4 to Demi “When does this game end?” Demi asked

“First one to 10” I replied

“Only one more” she said as she smiled happily

She picked the puck from the slot on the side of her side of the table because I scored last and she hit the puck hard, I defended my goal and hit it back towards her, she hit it back and scored *ding ding ding* the machine sounded, then it said *game over, player 2 wins!!*

“Dang!” I sighed

Demi walked over to me and held out a hand “Good game!” she said

 “Good game!” I replied back as I shook her hand

We then walked out of the room and into the living room where we found my mom sitting watching TV. She looked up as we walked into the room, laughing and giggling because I couldn’t believe I had been beaten by a girl, twice.

We both sat down and then my mom said “Joe, can I talk to you; alone?”

“Yeah, sure” I said as I got up and left Demi in the living room

We got outside the living room and we are now in the kitchen. “How long is she staying?” my mom asked

“I don’t know mom” I replied

“Well…”

“She was helpless mom, she needed help and I helped her; she might well have DIED if I didn’t bring her in”

“I know Joe, but no disrespect to her or anything, but, she’s not family, she’s nobody to us. Why her out of all the thousands of people living on the streets?”

“I don’t know mom, I really don’t” I replied

“Then why Joe, why?”

“I guess…I guess, I could just tell”

“Tell what?” she asked

“Tell that she needed MY help” I replied

“Well…I just don’t know what to say to you right now Joe” she said as she walked out of the kitchen and went upstairs.

I walked back into the living room and found Demi twiddling her thumbs with her head bowed down, I could hear a gentle sob.

I sat down beside her “Hey hey hey, why is a beautiful young lady crying?” I asked

“I just…” she said in between sobs “I just…can tell I’m not wanted here” she said

“No no, please don’t listen to my mom and dad”

“It’s there house Joe” she replied

“I know, but you’re welcome here, I want you here. Not, out there in the freezing cold”

I held out my arms as if to motion her into a hug, hoping that she would take it.

Demi’s Pov

Joe held out his arms and I hesitated for a bit, wondering if this was some kind of trap, maybe it is, but maybe, just maybe he is being genuine.

I slowly went into Joe’s arms, but I couldn’t relax, it’s not him, I’ve just never really been shown this feeling before, I guess, you could call it love. My parents, well they never really showed my love and affection even before they died; then my aunt, even though she took me in, I could tell that she didn't want to, so, she never showed me love either.

He held me gently in his arms and he rubbed my back, but, I still couldn’t relax. He then let go of me, I guess, guessing that I was getting more uncomfortable by the minute.

 I sat upright again and looked at him, wiping my eyes to stop the few tears from falling.