Chapter 6

Joe’s Pov

I stood there reading the note, I can’t believe what my parents have just done; I stormed out of the room and into my parent’s room.

“WHAT DID YOU JUST DO?” I shouted at them

“What do you mean?” Dad replied. I showed him the note, he read it

“Oh” he said “Listen Joe, you can’t just bring people in off the streets”

“SHE WAS DIFFERENT” I shouted back

“How?” my dad said calmly

“She…..just was” I said as I started to calm down. I felt tears come to my eyes but I tried my best to hold them back in front of my parents; I bowed my head in an effort to do so.

“Joe, I don’t understand” Mom cut in “How can she be different? You don’t even know her”

I lifted my head up “She was special mom, I felt it in here” I said pointing to my chest where my heart was.

There was silence, no-one spoke.

“Well, I’m going to go and find her and bring her back. She deserves someone to care for her after what she has been through”

“Joe…” Dad called after me

“Yeah”

“You can’t do this”

“I can, please just give her a chance”

Mom and dad went quiet again and thought about it, I started to walked away, “Okay, we’ll give her ONE chance” Dad piped up

“Yes!” I fist pumped the air

“But…” Dad interrupted “If she makes ONE wrong move, she’s out!”

“Okay, yes dad, okay” I said as I rushed down the stairs and into my car to go and look for Demi.

Demi’s Pov

After having that conversation with Joe’s parents, there was no way that I was welcome here, he practically told me to get out. So, I got changed into the clothes that I had arrived in and placed all the clothes that Joe had brought me neatly on hangers on the closet.

I found a piece of paper and left Joe and note as I knew that he would be busy with his friends, I walked down the stairs and out of the front door.

It was cold outside, but I am probably feeling the cold more because I’ve been inside a heated house for a few days. It was nice of Joe to pick me up off the streets and take me in, but if I don’t have his parents blessing to be there, then I’m just not welcome.

I walked out of their driveway and onto the main road, I didn’t know exactly where I was going yet but I will probably end up under the same bridge. I walked along the road for the little bit, about 30 minutes then I heard a car horn beeping. I turned around and then thought it must have been beeping at someone else, so I carried on walking. But the person behind the wheel kept beeping their horn.

When the car caught up with me the driver slowed down and then stopped next to me; it was Joe.

He rolled down his window and said “You need to come back”

“No” I replied softly

“Demi, I’ve sorted out my parents” he sighed

“What do you mean?”

“Just get in the car and I will explain” he said

I walked around to the other side of the car and for the second time this week I was being picked up from the side of the road. “What then? How have you sorted it?” I asked once I had shut the door.

“I talked to them” he replied

I couldn’t understand how talking to them was going to do anything, by the way, that Joe’s dad spoke to me, he was pretty adamant that he wanted me gone and to never come back. But I kept quiet, unsure as to whether to trust him or whether to get out of the car while I still can.

Joe pulled off and when up and around the block to be able to drive back down his driveway and then he opened the car door for me. I got out and we headed inside.

Joe’s parents weren’t within eyesight, which, was good; I didn’t really want to face them just yet, even if they are accepting of my now.

Joe took me up to the room that he had given me and said “Here you go, now you can get changed and I’ll meet you down in the games room”

“Okay” I smiled a little

He then left me, closing the door behind him and I heard his footsteps go down the stairs. I got dressed into some of the nice new clothes that Joe had brought me, then I walked out of the room and went down towards the games room.