Chapter 8

Joe's Pov

When we got to the living room Demi and I sat down on opposite couches, Demi just played with her fingers while I reached for the TV remote. 

 "What do you fancy watching?" I asked

 "Umm..."

I totally forgot, Demi has been homeless for a while that means no TV, she probably doesn't know what shows are on, let alone what she might want to watch.

I picked up the TV remote and changed the channel to channel 4, it had a comedy show on. We watched this for half an hour. I glanced over at Demi during the break in the show and I saw that she had fallen asleep. She had her hands in her lap and her head was rested back against the couch.

I thought it would be nice to carry her up to her room, save waking her. I got up and picked her up, she was lighter than I had imagined, she's got a tiny frame, yeah, but I didn't imagine her to be this light.

I carefully picked her up bridal style and carried her up the stairs, when I got up to the top of the stairs my dad came out of his room.

"What..."

"Shhh..." I hushed him, cutting him off "She's asleep" I said

"Okay" he whispered

Then he went and walked down the stairs while I walked along the upstairs corridor and pushed open the door to the guest bedroom, I gently placed her down on then bed and lifted the covers up and put her under the covers.

I then tiptoed out of the room and closed the door behind me.

I walked down the stairs and back into the living room where I found mom sitting watching TV, I sat down on the couch opposite her and she turned the TV down bit.

 "That was nice of you"

"What was?"

"To carry Demi upstairs" she said

"Yeah" I replied

"I mean it Joe, she is lucky to have you"

"And what do you mean by that?" I asked

"I mean...that not everyone would stop and pick up and strange girl off the street...she was lucky Joe"

"I guess" I replied

Mom just doesn't get it, does she? I picked Demi up from the side of the road because she is special and NOT because she is lucky or fortunate. I guess in a way Demi is lucky that I picked her up but that isn't the full reason. Demi is special and I know that because......well....I just do.

I had zoned out while thinking about this and when I saw a hand wave in front of me I knew it was mom trying to break me out of my trace like state that I was in.

"Joe, Joe!" she said

"What? Yeah?"

"I said...did you manage to get Demi up the stairs still being asleep?"

"What? Umm, yeah" I replied "She is surprisingly light and she must be a very heavy sleeper"

"Yeah, she must be" mom agreed with me

There was a pause and then I said "I think I'm going to head to bed"

I yawned

"Okay" mom replied

I walked over to her and gave her a hug and said "See you in the morning"

"Okay Joe"

I walked out of the room and headed upstairs, I walked along the corridor and noticed that the door to Demi's room was open. I peered inside, she was gone.

I walked up to the bed to see if she had let a note of some description, like last time. There was nothing. I walked up to the window to think as to where she might have gone, I can only think that she might have run away again and this time she might have just not left a letter.

I began to get worried as I walked up to the window, I looked out into the night's sky, and that's when I saw Demi sitting outside at the side of our garden against a wall.

I quickly grabbed my coat and ran outside as I knew it was cold out, I walked slower as I got out into the garden and as I got closer to her.

She didn't look up or make eye contact with me, she just continued to play with the short grass. She was wearing virtually nothing; she had taken her jumper off and was outside in this weather in just a tracksuit bottoms and a vest top. Believe me even though it was spring, and nearly summer, the weather wasn't nice at all, it was bitter.

I sat down next to her and as I did I touched her arm, she was freezing. "Demi..." I said

"Yeah" she replied, still transfixed on the patch of grass

"Aren't you cold?"

"A bit" she replied

"Let's get you inside" I suggested

I grabbed her arm "No" she raised her voice and pulled her arm away from me

"Why not?" I asked

She looked up at the night's sky and said "I like it out here"

"So do I" I replied

"Really?" she asked, looking up at me for the first time

"Yes...but its cold out here, let's go inside"

"Okay" she smiled

I helped her up and we both went inside, when we got inside Demi let out a big yawn "Tired?" I asked

"Yeah...." She yawned

"You better get to bed then" I said pulling out my phone and checking the time, it was midnight; my parents must be already in bed and my brothers are either asleep or they are in their rooms.

Demi and I headed upstairs, Demi went into her room but turned around before shutting the door

"Goodnight" I said to her

"Goodnight" she replied back

She then closed the door and I walked along the corridor to my room, I opened the door and then closed it behind me. I got into bed and pulled the covers up, I turned off my bedside light and went to sleep.

Demi's Pov

I closed the door behind me and I got changed as I was still in my clothes, I got into my PJs and got into bed but I couldn't sleep. I turned off my bedside light and was finally able to sleep.