Chapter 71

| Seventy One |
* * *
HARRY
~

The vicious stinging of last night's pain served as a brutal reminder of the very chaos I had spawned.

I didn't want to open my eyes. I would be confirming the very reality of this situation. I didn't want to accept this cruelty.

Every single part of my body throbbed as I felt the intensity of each and every pulse. The thumping of my head begged me for the vital rest I had failed to obtain last night. It had been a restless few hours: interrogated by Guilt itself which consumed every inch of me.

Stretching my sore eyes open, I knew I had to do something to end this suffering. I hated how powerless I felt: having no control fucking sucked.

I fuck up all the time. Everything I get close to, falls apart.

Despite how unpleasant I felt, I force myself to confront the bitter air as I rip the covers off of my aching body. I push my legs off the side of the bed whilst groaning and propel myself up.

Standing in the hall way, my eyes glance over towards Ariana's door, pleasantly surprised to find the bed occupied.

I see her.

She came.

A smile crawls onto my face. Seeing her seemed to soothe my anxiety.

However, my smile fails to last. She may be here but she's not alone.

Liam is rested on the floor with the whole fucking guest bed in her room.

What the fuck was he doing here? Don't they trust me.

I know what I fucking did but she has to understand I didn't mean it.

That was one thing I never wanted Ari to feel. I don't want her to be afraid of me.

I hate it. I fucking hate it and it's all my fault.

I lost it.

It pains me knowing I can't just tell her.

I can't lose her again and I won't.

I craved to hear her voice, desperate to speak to her. With it being the early hours of the morning — seven–forty two to be exact — I was well aware that would be unlikely anytime soon.

I return to my room and place myself on my bed, resting my face in my hands. I'll have to be patient and wait for her to awake.

Just as my eyes begin to droop, my attention is drawn to the faint sound of footsteps forcing my head up.

Growing louder and louder, my eyes widen, only to be welcomed by disappointment.

"What the fuck Liam?" I shout, standing up and stopping in front of him.

His head swerves my way and I hear him sigh.

"What Harry?"

"Why are you here?" I growl, clenching my fists.

"I'm just making sure Ariana is ok," he says.

"I can look after her. You're not needed." I hiss.

"Well last night's event changed some things," Liam says.

"It's none of your fucking business," I shout. "She doesn't need your protection, I'm not going to do anything."

"Well it kind of is," he says. "I'm here at her request."

I walk up to him and grab him by the shirt, raising my fists.

Ariana is mine, I can fucking look after her.