Chapter 11

| Eleven |

"I'll start," I begin.

I start thinking about various possible questions I could ask him. I wanted to go deeper than just what his favourite this or that was. My eyes dart around before settling on the dangling silver around his neck which was glistening against the sun.

"Why do you always wear that chain around your neck every day?"

He tensed a little and his eyes wonder away from mine.

"It's... nothing." he mumbles.

"Are you really going to be like this?" I ask.

He sighs.

"My mother got it for me... she's not here anymore." Harry mumbles.

I watch his hand grip deeply onto the table as he tries his best to maintain control of himself, staring at the view.

I stutter. I thought he just didn't want to talk, I didn't realise it was that personal.

"I am so sorry Harry." I stutter, feeling a sense of guilt radiate through me.

He doesn't respond, his lips press together, staring through the glass.

"I understand how you're feeling." I swallow.

"You don't." He grits.

I look at him, my eyebrows lowering.

"My," I took a deep breath. "I know what it's like... my father passed away, so I do... I do understand."

Harry's face shot round, staring at me.

"I was really close to him," I stutter. "So I do understand that your pain. That heartbreak that no one could ever begin to imagine unless they've experienced that kind of loss."

He slowly nods for me to continue, his eyes fixed on me.

"What about your mother," he asks quietly, his voice deep and rough.

"My mother, well that's quite a story in itself. She... didn't cope well. My aunt and uncle ended up caring for me and my siblings. They're amazing... I'm grateful for every single person that possess such kind souls like them."

It felt weird spilling this to him. I hadn't really mentioned my family in quite a long time and to let it out was so very frightening but oddly satisfying all the same. Especially due to the fact he seemed to genuinely listen, almost as if he did have more to this cold character he had constructed.

Harry smiles sympathetically, his eyes studying mine.

I was surprised Harry and I seemed to have something in common, something so personal. It felt refreshing, especially since he could understand.

"I have a sister," He says after a while.

I nod, forcing a small smile. If he could mention one bit of his life, even the smallest, I appreciated it. I understand how hard it is sometimes to convey such emotions, so I knew this tiny reveal was a lot for him, a sign of care.

There was a moment of silence before Harry spoke.

"How old are you?" Harry questions, changing the subject.

"Twenty one," I reply.

He smirks, recovering from the slight vulnerability he exposed to me just seconds ago.

"So final year, what are you studying again?"

"Psychology," I smile.

He smirks.