Chapter Forty Four

Start from the beginning

"Yeah," I nod again. "In about a month and two weeks,"

Reese connects her hands with mine again. "You're mom said she's gonna drop Adam off soon," she smiles at me.

"Ok," I nod kissing her forehead. She's still clueless as to who these people are, I know, Ian had told me yesterday that they were to come over but they wanted to tell Reese themselves. She sits next to me at the table holding my hand in hers beneath.

"So Reese," they smile at her. "How've you been?"

"Good," she nods cautiously. I squeeze her hand gently for reassurance. The doorbell causes us all to look over. She gasps in realization and walks towards the door. I smile at her but stay sitting. They look at each other in confusion.

"It's Adam," he responds. They still look confused until Reese walks back holding our little boy.

"Say hi daddy?" She turns him to face me.

"Hello baby," I gasp in baby talk. I kiss his cheek and hold him on my lap. "Mommy missed you," I face him to Reese.

"Wan' come?" She holds her hands out and slowly he leans towards her. "Good boy," she smiles.

"You have a kid?" They gasp.

"I'm still confused," she whispers to me. "Who are they?" She tries not to be rude.

"Ask them?" I smile at her.

"I don't wanna," she pouts.

"She still doesn't know," I tell them for her and she hits my shoulder.

"You weren't supposed to say that," she gasps.

"You don't remember?" They sigh.

"Nathan," one of them puts his hand out. She nods looking somewhat hurt. "Nathan Matthews." He smiles. Her eyebrows furrow.

"But," she points in pure awe.

"Elliot Matthews," the other guy extends a hand.

"Elizabeth Matthews," the girl extends her hand.

"My family is gone," she mumbles moving Adam away from the table. "Will you make him a bottle he's tired?" She looks at me completely ignoring what just happened.

"Ok, but baby you've gotta say hi." I kiss her cheek.

"So for all of this time where have you been?" She crosses her arms just as both Ian and I had feared. "You left me thinking you were dead!" She growls. "You left me orphaned!"

"Darling calm down," I place my hands on her shoulders.

"I can't calm down Shawn," she sighs. "If you've been alive this whole time why didn't you ever contact me? Why did you leave me?" The hurt in her voice evident.

"We had to," they explain. Adam moans and she hushes him.

"Daddy's getting your bottle." She reassures.

"They said we weren't fit to keep you in our custody," her mother sighs.

"And you didn't fight?" She scoffs. "How come you kept Nathan?"

"His age," this time it's her father. "He was old enough to make his own choice and he wanted to be with us." Her brother looks like he might cry.

"Here darling I'll feed him," I take the child from her letting a drop of the milk fall onto my wrist as I check the time. 6:55. "I think it's bed time," I squeeze his cheeks while feeding him the bottle.

"So you pretended you died so I wouldn't have to face the reality that you were unfit parents?" She scoffs again. "I've been bullied for years, years and I swear to god your death made it all worse." She makes air quotations around the word death. "People laughed at me for being an orphan, laughed at me for not having any friends, in high school it was legitimate physical abuse." She growls making me look down. "And because you didn't want to tell me the truth,"

"That's not it," they sigh. "We didn't want to hurt you," they pout.

"You hurt me a lot more in five minutes than anyone else in my whole lifetime." She sinks lower in her chair staying only because of me. "I'll put him to bed," she takes him from me after I burp him.

"Help them Shawn," Ian nudges me and points to her family. "She hated you at first." He shrugs. "Maybe you can help them not be hated," he shrugs.

"Why did she hate you?" He brother asks.

"I was the one who physically abused her," I look down again. Nathan stands slowly walking towards me. I don't notice and he hits my jaw.

"Nathan," Reese screams walking down but it doesn't stop him. He continues hitting me. She grabs his arm but it does nothing. She grabs a pressure point in his neck which sends him to the ground. "Oh my god," she panics looking at me. "Shawn," she laces our fingers together. "I'm so sorry," she kisses my forehead.

"I'm alright love," I smile. "I just look like I did in the stitches music video," I smile trying to stop her tears. She laughs but continues crying.

"Come here, let's get you cleaned up," she wipes her eyes and leads me to the bathroom. She takes a cloth and wets it gently dabbing on the open wounds. She sits on the counter and I stand between her legs as she's much smaller than me. "I'm sorry he did this to you," she kisses my cheek.

"It's ok," I shrug kissing her lips. Her legs wrap around my torso and I lift her up.

"It's not ok to me though," she sighs. "I don't hate you guys," her head rests against mine while I bring her back to her family. "But Nathan what you did to Shawn was wrong,"

"He abused you," he scoffs.

"Yeah and then he spent a year trying to make it up to me," she rolls her eyes. "And then he proposed to me on my birthday, he bought me this house and he gave me my child," she looks down at me. "And I've never loved anyone more." She smiles down at me.

"I love you too darling," I smile letting my lips touch hers. Her dad coughs in the background.

"So what does that mean?" He refers to what she was ranting about before.

"It means if you guys can fix your mistakes then I'll be able to forgive you, but if you don't fix it soon you won't be a part of my wedding." She kisses me again.

"How is we fix it?" He mom asks desperately.

"You knew me better than anyone else," she shrugs. "Figure it out," she turns to them briefly. "Will you carry me to our room?" She pouts.

"Of corse love," I carry her to the stairs and up to our room as they leave the house. She closes out curtains and looks at me almost in tears. "Darling what's wrong?" I pout giving her a tight hug.

"My family is alive," sh cries against my shoulder. "I'm not alone anymore."