It's Hard To Explain

Start from the beginning

"I was just going to go get some groceries becau-"

"Don't worry, I can go get it." I say cutting my mother from her sentence, "I'll just quickly get a jacket from upstairs in my room."

Running up the stairs, I turn right to my old bedroom. Pictures that hung up on my wall were memories of my high school years; a couple of me and Lora were scattered around.

My bed was in the middle of the room and beside it was a bedside table that held a night lamp and a small frame of my mother, my dad and Michael and I altogether.

It seems almost impossible to recapture that happy moment again. It feels like our whole family has been separated, which is kind of true. With Michael in California, with me in college, with dad in jail... and with my mum being by herself, our family isn't even like a family anymore.

Dad has made a mistake by going to jail because he committed burglary. Before, we needed that money, but we never expected he'd steal. It was just one mistake, he didn't do that for selfish reasons, he did that for us. We were so close to loosing everything, but then my mother got employed at a better job with better cash which saved us a lot.

But now, my father is in jail and I haven't seen him in almost six months, which was the last time mom, Michael and I have visited him. He told us not to come there anymore because he didn't want us to feel sorry for him, he said that he didn't need pity; he needed punishment.

But the truth is that he's been punishing himself too harshly by pushing us away and almost giving up on everything. My dad comes out of jail a year from now, but it seems like forever.

I needed to see him. We needed to see him, and I don't care if he says no.

I hastily grab an old jacket from my closet and rush down stairs where I found my brother and mother in the lounge. I heard crying. I stopped and hid behind a wall and eased dropped on the conversation. I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I can't help it.

"How are you feeling mom?" I hear Michael ask in a sincere voice.

"It's hard to explain."

"Everything will feel better soon, I promise."

"No, no. I need none of that, Michael. 'Soon' is just round the corner and if you're going to promise anything, you have to look after your sister. Look after each other."

What do they mean? I can't help the curiosity flowing in me.

"Does dad know about this?"

"No. Not yet. I don't know when to visit him. Hopefully this week." she says, "But listen, you can't tell Isabelle about this. She has too much to deal with at the moment; especially with college. I want her to do well in the future."

In that moment, I take a step out from my hidden position and pretend I didn't hear anything, "I'm ready to go get the groceries, but I need Michael's car." I say.

My mom quickly wipes away the tears in her eyes, "Of course, darling. I'll get the table ready while you're gone."

Michael hands me the keys to his car and before I know it, I'm off.

***

It's only seven by the time I get to the shops, I hurry and get what I need to purchase. I bought some salad, chicken and coke. I even bought a cake for dessert. Maybe during dinner I could ask them if we could go and visit dad in jail.

I exit the store doors and go into the parking lot where Michael's grey car was parked, "Hey!" a voice called out.

I swiftly turn, careful not to drop the food in the plastic bags. My eyes were laid on what I thought was Chase, but as soon as the male came closer, my eyes focused more and realised that it was his elder brother, Luke, "Do I know you, babe?" he asks in a smirk.

"Actually, yes." I confirm, "We met at the restaurant where I worked. You were with Chase and Tyler."

"Oh, you remember?" Luke folds his arms in front of his chest, "I'm sorry about that night. It was my second day as a free man and I guess I just got carried away. I'm Luke Cole."

"Isabelle." I say shaking his hand. This was going good, better than before. Luke's green eyes travel down to my chest before he takes his bottom lip in between his teeth. I instantly felt uncomfortable to where his eyes were laid so I quickly turned around and continued to walk to the car.

"Woah, woah, woah." Luke holds my waist, preventing me from walking away, "Don't run away from me, babe. It's really impolite of you to just walk away after introducing yourself."

"Let go of me." I spoke through gritted teeth, I try and escape out from his tight grip, but he doesn't give in.

"Shhh." he spoke in a hushed tone before he started applying kisses to the side of my cheek and down to my jaw. His kisses became lower; down to my neck, but then Luke stopped. I looked at him, his eyes widen as he looked at my necklace.

"Who gave you this?" he questioned in a serious tone as he took the pendant in his hands.

"Chase." I say trying to catch my breath. It was the ring necklace. Luke must have recognised the symbol.

"Are you my brother's girlfriend now?" he asks looking in my brown eyes, I nod slightly. Luke let's go of me, his eyes still wide as he took the information in. He doesn't say anything, and neither do I.

"Hey, Luke." another deep voice calls out. We were still in the parking lot, it was getting late.

"Shit." he curses under his breath. He looks down at me, "Listen, if you want to get out of here, just go with what I say. Okay?"

My body starts panicking as the three other males come to us, "Hey guys." Luke greets. My mouth slightly opened as I remembered the face of one of the boys.

Dean.

It was the guy Chase and I saw at our date in the beach restaurant.

"Luke, who's this?" one of the three guys asked as they directed their attention to me. I stand behind Luke, afraid.

"She's my girlfriend." he lies. They all look back at me to see if he was telling the truth. I weakly nod going with what Luke said. I don't know any of these guys personally, but they all seem like the serious types.

"What's her name? She looks familiar." another one asks. This time, it was the boy who Chase has viciously punched at the front of the restaurant. I could tell by the small cut on the side of his cheek and the way he was deviously looked at me was the way he stared at me through the car window before Chase irrationally attacked him.

"Her name is Isabelle." Luke answers again.

"Introduce us properly." Dean demands with a smug face.

Luke worriedly glimpsed at me, "Isabelle, this is Bryce, Dean and Hunter." I scan through each of their faces. Bryce had sandy blonde hair and ocean blue eyes. He was the one who Chase had a fight with.

Dean had hazel eyes and black scruffy hair, while Hunter had deep green eyes, black hair and a full sleeve tattoo on his left arm. I think what scared me about them was of the way they held themselves. They looked strong, muscular bodies, serious attitudes. They were the type of men you would try and avoid while you walk past them in the street.

A chuckle escapes from Dean's lips, "I don't believe shit that she's your girlfriend, Luke."

My eyes travel to Luke who's jaw was tensed. He looked like the type of person who could easily beat the crap out of someone if he wanted to. . . I mean, he is Chase's brother. But something in his eyes feared him, and it was these three guys. I listen to what Luke told me; to go with whatever he says, that's when I decided to finally speak out. "I am his girlfriend."

Dean cocks up an eyebrow, "Really, sugar plum?" he folds his arms across his chest, "Then kiss him."

Luke and I glance over at each other, the three boys getting impatient.

This was a terrible idea.