Chapter 52: Monster's Weakness

Steph's P.O.V.

I was sitting behind Zai, on her dragon, following a blue lightning dragon. We were trying to catch up with him, chasing Paty. But I'm starting to wonder who are we chasing, Paty or Jay. He's at least 300 meters ahead of all of us.

He's always been the fastest ninja, specially on a dragon. The advantages of controlling lightning, I suppose.

— JAY WAIT FOR US!—Cole called.

Apperantly being super strong is probably not the best skill on a chase.

— I CAN'T WAIT! SHE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO LAND! SHE'LL CRASH!—Jay replied.

Erika flew next to us with Mirayo sitting on her dragon, Lloyd flew next to her with Justin on his dragon, it maybe tiring to fly at high speed without a dragon. Potato ride next to us too.

— We're not going to catch her any time soon—Mirayo stated.

— How did he a witch turns a human into... that?  —I asked.

— Paty is just 25% human, and 75% monster—Justin said— But like humans, us monsters evolved. We look like humans with a monster treat of our roots. Like my fangs and the fact that I can fly.

— And your pale skin—Mirayo said.

— Yes. That too—Justin said, half-offended half-amused.

— But we need to have a balance, if we loose it, monsters can go back to their most primitive states, being savage and senseless creatures—Justin said— or choosing to go back to a basic form, like you get to see with werwolves and vampires.

— I thought werewolves turned with the light of a full moon—Lloyd said.

— Like the silver bullets and sun light, those are mere human sterotypes trying to explain things they can't find an explanation to —Justin said— or a way to destroy them... You like to see that us monster have dumb weakness, to makes something easy to get rid of.

Now it makes sense something that Paty told me, when she was staying with me.

Flashback (still Steph's P.O.V.)

We were watching monster movies and eating with my brothers.

— You're a monster, right?—Troy asked.

— TROY! APOLOGIZE RIGHT NOW!—I scolded him.

— But her wings, you said she was a monster—Troy continued.

— But as a specie! Don't just ask it like it was something bad!—I replied.

— Well, I am. And no, being a monster doesn't make you bad. It's like being a human, but with an extra "gift"—Paty said flapping her wings— I've met many monsters and they're nice.

— Is it true that you can kill a vampire with a wood stake on the heart?—Jonathan asked.

— I think that would anyone...—Paty replied.

— What about garlic?—Troy asked.

— That's a just a weird idea people got —Paty shrugged.

— And the silver bullet? —Jonathan asked.

— Again, I think that would kill anyone...

— And sunlight? —Troy asked.

— Nope, that's just a human justification to explain their pale skin —Paty replied.

— Why? —Jonathan and Troy asked in unison.

— Well, of you met a creature with unknown supernatural powers, wouldn't you feel better if you knew how to kill it?