Chapter 47: Living with "It"

No P.O.V.

After the midnight incident the Mistresses of Shadow and Magic took different ways. Paty locked herself in her room to cry her heart out.

Zai went with Cole and told him what happened. Of course the new traveled to the whole Bounty in a few hours. Around 4 am everyone was up, staring to the ceiling; feeling frustrated. No one actually had a good sleep that night. If someone managed to fall asleep, they'd be tortured by horrible nightmares.

The Overlord won. He got what he wanted.

Few Days Later

Almost everyone in the Bounty was reunited on the dinning room of the Bounty feeling horrible, discussing the risk that it implied having the Overlord's soul in a friend's body

They couldn't hurt their friend. But the Overlord wouldn't hesitate to hurt them.

Jay walked in the room, with his eyes red from crying. He didn't take good the new, well no one actually did. But Jay became hysterical. He hurt his hand last night when he punched the wall in frustration.

— Hi Jay, is your hand better? —Potato asked sweetly.

— Does it really matter? —Jay asked ironically.

Morro was about to stand up and beat the blueberry ninja up, but Potato pulled his sleeve, giving her boyfriend (*cough* future husband *cough*) a warm yet slightly awkward smile as a code of "It's okay, he's more hurt than me". Morro frowned a bit, but nodded, respecting Potato's petition of not hurting Jay, and sat down. Wrapping his arm around her. Her safe-zone.

Jay sighed loudly sat next to Zai, and hide his face on his arms as he leaned into the table. He groaned in both pain and frustration. Zai patted his back.

— As much as I appreciate the pity, I'm okay —Jay said, clearly in a bad (awful) mood.

Despite they don't like Jay's mood. Nobody actually blames him, his girlfriend had their worst enemy rooming freely on her soul. And like Lloyd pointed out the last day: "Paty once told me, the first thing she needed to become strong, was becoming free". That left everyone with a deadly doubt on their heads. Does that mean the Overlord will get stronger? Strong enough to control Paty? Will they have to fighting her one day? Would she still fight beside them if it happens?

And if that wasn't enough, no one has seen Paty since Zai and she found out the Overlord was "free". Food isn't a problem, since she can spend a long time without food. Water, she has her elemental power. But still, everyone is worried sick. She hasn't talked to anyone, not even Jay.

Well, no. She talks to ONE person. Cole.

Which probably is a good booster for Jay's horrible mood. Jay feels betrayed, again. The poor thing is too insecure.

But being fully honest, not even Cole was able to see her. They talked through the door. He sat next to it, probably she does the same. And he listens to her, and he gives her a good advice.

Jay is obviously dying from jealousy. But Cole is a better listener than him, as sweet as Jay is, and as much as Paty and him love each other... Is well known that when Jay is stressed out, he becomes temporarily deaf. He refuses to listen, and that's why Paty hasn't talked to him.

But it's not like she has told much to Cole...

— Jay, we get you're angry, but don't be rude with the girls, it's not their fault —Cole said.

— Don't lecture me dirt clod —Jay groaned.

— Okay that's it. Go to your room. You're grounded —Cole replied.