chapter sixty. kevin.

Eliza stayed up with me all night.  We talked a lot about our favorite things, kind of like an, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours," situation.  She told me about how the sun can fit 1.3 million earths, and I told her that 1 in 5,000 people are born without an asshole.

"How does that even happen?" She asks while taking a drag of her final cigarette. 

"I don't know," I say.  "I guess the fetus doesn't really think about making the butthole when it also has to make arms and legs and guts and eyes, y'know?"

Eliza hums and opens up her empty cigarette box, furrowing her eyebrows. 

When my phone rings at 6:00 in the morning, the name LENNARD VINCENT showing up on the bright screen, my heart feels like it's going to burst.

"It's his dad!" I say frantically to Eliza.

"Answer it!" She says, sitting up on her bed.

I wave my hands and look around for a bit as my phone vibrates is my hand.

"Dude, answer the phone!"  Eliza yells again.

When I don't hurry to do so, Eliza grabs the phone from my hand and answers the call.

"Kevin, my boy!" Lennard exclaims.  "I hope I called you at an appropriate time of day considering the time difference!"

I grimace and glare at Eliza.  "Yeah, you did."

"Very good," he concludes.  "How's my son doing?"

"Um, Mr. Lennard, sir, I don't... I don't know how to say this but Edd--he flatlined and the doctors rushed him away."

And suddenly, I understand this situation.  Edd isn't only my boyfriend.  He's a son, too; a friend to many; a student.  He's not just mine  to love.  He has other people who care about him, but I was just thinking about myself the entire time.  I'm so selfish.

When I hear the muffled crying on Lennards side of the phone, I bite my lip.  But that doesn't keep my chin from quivering or my nose from stinging with the sensation of crying.  Tears still fall from my eyes like drops of wax, even as I whimper and hold my mouth with my hand.

"I'm so sorry I didn't tell you sooner," I cry. "I'm so, so, sorry, Lennard."

Lennard doesn't say anything when he hangs up.  I tell Eliza that I'm going to the bathroom, and she tells me where it is.  

When I get to the bathroom, I look in the mirror.  My puffy eyes have tear-stained streaks underneath.  My hair is gross, too, I realize, and my body feels sticky and sweaty.  I could laugh at myself if I wasn't in so much pain.

I cry for another ten minutes in the bathroom, and when I finish I wash my face and go back to Edd's room.  I sit on a chair in the room and lay my head on Edd's empty bed.  

It smells like the new Edd--lavender, mist, and medication.

ו×

I'm unwillingly awoken by a tall doctor tapping my shoulder.

"Sir," He says.  "Sir, I have news."

"Mmm, what?" I ask drowsily, wiping my eyes.

"The news is in relation to Eddward Vincent."

I wake up almost instantly, and my heartbeat quickens.  "And?"

"He's awake."

ו×

It's 1:56 a.m. and I'm writing a late chapter. What has my life come to ? (((':

As always thank you for reading and have a great night/morning!!  Don't forget to comment and vote because that makes me very happy!!!