chapter fifty-four pt 1. kevin.

I wake up to my alarm, and that's when I know that today is going to be worse than average. And not just because it's Monday.

I reluctantly get up from bed and put on a Peach Creek Cobblers football sweatshirt and a pair of jeans, then go to the bathroom.

As I stand above the sink while I brush my teeth, I look in the mirror.

I look awful.

I have bags under my bloodshot eyes and my face is pale.

I sigh and go downstairs.

I move slowly, as if I have heavy weights attached to my feet, and when I get downstairs I see him. My old man.

We stare at each other for a few seconds before he finally says something.

"You look like shit," he says.

I shrug. "Rough night."

"Where were you last night?"

"Nowhere."

He hums and turns around, showing off the tattoos on his bare back.

"I'm leaving, then."

He doesn't say anything when I leave.

ו×

The school was too loud for seven thirty-three in the morning, but no one bothered me as I went to class, so I suppose that everything was okay.

When I sat in my first period, I realized that some of the students were staring at me. I didn't care, of course. I'm used to it.

But that didn't make me any less curious.

In fact, the staring happened all day. All through second to forth.

My only escape was lunch, because I decided that I am done with the staring. I'm done with he secret whispering and the cluelessness.

So, I just go outside and sit under a small tree outside the school's side entrance. It's peaceful and quiet--the most I've had all day. It feels... Refreshing to be sprawled out on the ground and just taking in nature.

I almost thought that everything was okay until I heard her voice.

ו×

Part two of this chapter will be posted tomorrow. Thanks for reading!