chapter thirty-two. kevin.

The room is deathly silent. I felt like I was attending my own funeral as I sat in the living room with Edd's parents. They looked kind of stunned by the fact that Edd had someone over--well, at least his mother did. Edd's mother seemed to be scowling at me, as if trying to bore a hole through my forehead; as if she knew what Edd and I were. Which got me thinking about what if Edd's parents were chill with this whole Edd-being-my-boyfriend thing. With the look on Edd's mothers' face, it seemed almost silly to think about. Of course she wasn't okay with this--she looked like the opposite of okay with this kind of thing. Would Edd's dad, though? He seemed kind and had a the kind of face that made him look like he could be a kindergarten teacher; square, much like his body, making him a comforting kind of scary--like a bear. But, he wasn't fat; he was muscular and well built--almost as muscular as my own dad. He hardly looked much like a doctor in my eyes. He had dark, chocolaty brown eyes behind a pair of square eyeglasses and jet-black hair with white streaks that was slicked back, complimented by a mustache was neatly trimmed to outline his top lip.

"I'm back," I hear Edd say nervously as he walks into the living room from the kitchen.

He set a tray with a kettle, two empty tea cups and two coffee cups filled with black coffee, accompanied with sugar, honey, and creme down on a coffee table between two couches--one occupied by Edd's parents, and one by me.

He had taken his apron off and fixed his Beanie, but his white cheeks were still faintly flushed.

He smiled to me, and then at his parents. "Did I miss anything?"

"Nothing at all, Edd," his father says, smiling warmly and showing off nice, white teeth. "But, would you care to introduce us to your friend?"

Ouch.

"Oh, yes!" He clears his throat and walks over to the couch where I was sitting, putting a hand on my shoulder. "Please, pardon my rudeness. This is Kevin."

"'Sup," I say, weakly. Edd's hand squeezes my shoulder and I look up at him. He makes a scrunched face that reads, Why on Earth would you say that?!

I clear my throat quickly and try again, attempting to sound more sure. "Uh, hello."

Edd forces a smile and walks over to the couch with his parents sitting on it.

"This is my father, Lennard Vincent," he continues, pointing to the kind-looking man next to Edd's mother. He smiles and stands, holding out his hand. I stand, too, and put my hand in his, grabbing it firmly.

"It's nice to meet you," he says as we shake hands.

"And, this is my mother, Carla Vincent," he says, motioning towards the mean-looking woman on the couch. She checks me out with her eyes--blue as Edd's--and runs a hand through her thick black hair.

His mother doesn't respond at first, but then clears her throat.

"Eddwad, dear, who is this?" She asks, faking a smile to show off her pearly teeth outlined by thin, dark red lips.

"Uhm, it is Kevin, mother--"

"I know his name, Eddward," she snaps, frowning at Edd. "I want to know why he's here."

Edd looks at his feet nervously, biting his lip and rubbing his knuckles. His face flushes and he says, "We were just... baking, mother."

"Baking?" She scoffs.

"Yes, mother," he says quietly, not looking up.

"For what occasion would you be baking?"

"W-Well, as you probably know, it is New Years Eve, so, we were going to make a dessert to serve at the party--,"

"What party?"