chapter five. kevin.

To: Nat--3:35 p.m.

hey, we need 2 talk

where r u

From: Nat--3:37 p.m.

the library. what's wrong?

To: Nat--3:38 p.m.

just stay there. somethin happened the othr day & i dont rlly kno what to do

From: Nat--3:38 p.m.

ok. rn?

To: Nat--3:38 p.m.

yeah

Read 3:40 pm

•×•

The walk to the library was nerve wracking, and more than once did I think about turning around and texting Nat: "Hey, sorry, something came up".

As I step up to the steps of the Peach Creek Library, I take a deep breath.

This is it, I think.

This is honestly really scary--scarier than anything I've experienced in my life. I don't know if you've ever tried to tell someone a very serious secret, but there is only a fifty-percent chance it can go well. What if he doesn't accept me? What if he laughs? What if he tells me to fuck off or says that I'm just some dumb faggot? Oh my God, what if he thinks I'm kidding? That would make it so much worse--I'd have to explain how I feel and probably why. Dammit, why is this so hard? All I'm saying is that I might like a guy and that guy might be Double D. That's it.

Slowly, I walk inside the building. It's quiet, and the only thing that can be heard is the squeaking of my old high-top converse on the tiled floor of the library.

I walk down the aisle with my head hanging low and hands in my pocket though my back is tense and straight.

"Hey," someone whispers to me, grabbing my arm.

I look up quickly and look at Nat.

"Where are ya goin'? I'm right here."

"Oh, yeah," I say. I rub the back of my neck and look at the table he's sitting at. "Uh, sorry."

How did I manage to miss that green hair? I think to myself.

"What's got you so distracted?" Nat asks, turning in chair and sitting with the back between his legs.

"That's actually why... Uhm... Why I'm here to talk to you."

My anxiety is so obvious. Dammit.

"So," he asks. "Shall we go somewhere a bit more private?"

"I guess," I shrug.

God, help me.

•×•

"Nat?"

"Oui, mon ami troublé?"

"Why are we at a fucking café?"

"Oh, my dear Kevin," Nat chuckles. "We have come to this fine establishment to discuss what is getting you so down because it is peaceful and quiet.

"Is that a problem?" He inquires.

"Oh, I don't know, Nat," I say. "Doesn't coming to a Starbucks to talk about my most private feelings and secrets seem a little girly?"