chapter one. kevin.

"Listen, Kevin, I don't think you understand," Nat says. "Have you ever even consumed my product?"

"I don't have to," I say. "There's no way that the way you make it is any better than how I've had it at other restaurants."

"But it is different," he claims. "I make my french toast with love. They make theirs because it's their job."

"I don't care. I still think that pancakes are way better than any french toast in the world."

"How can you say that?! Pancakes are so plain!"

"How so? You can put anything in them! Strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chips, bacon, sausage, whatever the hell else you want. And then top it all off with syrup."

"Sausage and bacon in pancakes?" Nat asks, furrowing his eyebrows and lifting his nose up in the air dramatically. "How absurd."

"It's good," I protest.

"Says who?"

"Says me, and anyone else that likes to eat meat in their pancakes."

"Kevin, you're the only one. And, besides, why make pancakes with a bunch of shit in them when you can make delicious french toast? It's so much easier to make, and so much better to eat when you put powdered sugar and strawberries on them!" Nat groans and I laugh.

"Alright, hold your foodgasm. And anyway, making pancakes and french toast both have almost the same amount of steps."

"Listen, Kevin, how am I supposed to win this argument if you keep being right?"

I shrug. "I can't help that I've already thought of what you're gonna say before you say it. You're strangely predictable."

"I'm done with this conversation," Nat finally huffs. "I have to go to class, asshole."

"Love you, too," I say loudly, blowing him a kiss.

"Fuck you," he says, rolling his eyes and heading into his classroom.

I laugh to myself and walk into my classroom. I sit at the round table in the center of the room and put my earbuds in my ears. I go into my music and hit shuffle. A dumb rap song begins to play, and I get my chemistry homework from my backpack.

"1. Which of the following substances are amphoteric?"

What the hell does this mean? I ask myself. Next.

"2. Sodium hydroxide is a strong base. What is the pH of a 0.02M sodium hydroxide solution?"

Did we even learn this?!

Confused and frustrated, I scan the rest of the paper from front to back, realizing that the language speaken on it is clearly foreign. I sigh, taking out my earbuds. I begin to put my science stuff in my backpack, but stop when I hear a quiet mumble from behind me.

"E-Excuse me," the person that mumbled asks. "K-Kevin?"

"Yeah?" I ask, turning around.

"It seems as though most of the tables in the room are occupied," He clears his throat. "Would you mind if I sat here?"

"Guess not," I shrug.

"T-thank you." He nods and moves carefully to the other side of the table. He sits down cautiously In the table across from me, and gets out some homework. He gets out his own homework--probably some AP Calculus stuff, or something.

I stare at the dork. He's usually wearing the same style of clothing every day: a sweater vest over a white long-sleeved shirt with black skinny jeans and black converse. And then, of course, his infamous black beanie with a clean, white stripe on the left and right sides.

"E-Excuse me, Kevin," I hear him say.

"What?"

"It seems that you are staring at me," He straightens his back and smiles a nervous smile this was illuminated by his white teeth, the particular gap between his two front teeth showing itself proudly.

I tilt my head to the side, putting my chin up high and examining at his face, then sigh.

"Yeah," I run a hand through my red hair. "Sorry, dork."

"Is there something on my face?" He asks, blush rising in his cheeks as he puts his hands over his mouth.

"Nope," I snicker. "Nothin' at all."