chapter four. kevin.

"Ahem," She coughs. "Kevin, may I have a word with you?"

I breathe in slowly and nod my head. "Sure."

"Thank you," She says.

Mrs. Kiyabu sits down at her desk and intertwines her finely manicured fingers together, leaning her chin on them.

"What's up?" I ask.

"You were zoned out for the majority of my class today, Mr. Barr," She says, licking her thin red lips and raising a waxed eyebrow.

"Was I?" I ask, faking oblivion. "Hm. I don't seem to remember."

"Well, you were," She huffs, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms in unison with her legs. "If you allow your mind to wander from class one more time, I'll be forced to send you to the principal's office. After that, it's a call home; where I will also explain to your parents the D that you have in my class."

"What? No!" I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. "Okay, I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

She smiles deviously. "Okay. Thank you for understanding. You may leave."

I nod, defeated, and head toward the door.

"Oh, Kevin!' She says, leaning over her desk. "Would you allow me one more question?"

"What is it?"

"What exactly has gotten you so distracted, today?"

I remember this mornings vivid dream and feel my cheeks burn.

"It was nothing!"

And with that, I run from the classroom in an embarrassed haze, slamming the door on my way out.

•×•

The lunch room was as loud as ever, but even more so. During lunch, everyone separates into their own cliques; jocks and nerds, for example. Jocks sit on the right side of the cafeteria; nerds on the left. This way, everyone eats in peace (for the most part).

After getting my bowl of Mac-n-Cheese, I sit down at the other side of the cafeteria. But I don't start eating. I just... think.

I think about why can't I stop remembering this morning. Why does it always fill my head when I don't want it to? And why did I have that dream in the first place? I'm not attracted to Double D. What, I hold a decent conversation with him once and suddenly I like him? Hah! Yeah, right! It was a mistake. Nothing more; nothing less. I'm straight and there's no way some dork is gonna change that.

"That dream meant nothing," I mutter, poking my fork through my gross Mac-n-Cheese.

I hear a tray slam on the table and a voice ask, "What dream?"

I drop my fork and almost fall off my chair as a result of Nat's startling me.

"N-nothing," I say, picking my fork up off the floor.

"I'll be right back," I mumble, avoiding Nat's eyes.

I get up quickly, trying to avoid further conversation with him. I throw my fork in a soapy water bucket and reach for a new one. As I reach for a new one, my hand is brushed by someone else's.

I pull my hand back quickly and look at the person who accidentally touched me.

"My apologies, Kevin," Double D says, smiling. "I did not mean to make contact with you when reaching for the silverware."

My face heats up unwillingly and I say, "I-it's cool, dork. Don't sweat it."

"My, Kevin," he asks, clearly concerned. "Are you feeling well?"