chapter seventeen. kevin.

"Hey, Kev, guess what," Nat tells me. We're sitting in his room and playing a new video game of his.

"Hm?"

"I got a new job," he smiles, shooting someone.

I roll my eyes. "Oh, really?"

"Mhmm. Wanna know where?"

"Sure, Nat," I say, throwing some granades. "Where did you manage to get a job?"

"Longburg Park," he says. "Land of Guaranteed Fun and Entertainment!"

I scoff. "More like Land of Crappy Rides and Dumb Teenagers."

He snickers. "But, anyway, there is a reason to why I am telling you this."

"What is it?"

"Well," he smiles. "While I was working this morning, I just happened to think about you and your lover, so I..." he digs around in his pocket for a second and pulls out two pieces of rectangle card stock. "Managed to purchase two tickets for 10% of the original price."

"Oh, that's cool," I say, returning my gaze to the television screen. "Gonna take Kelsie?"

"Ha!" he laughs sharply. "We aren't dating."

"Oh," I say. "I thought you guys kissed?"

"That doesn't mean I'm dating her," he says, a mischievous grin practically spreading to his pierced ears. "But, no, that's not why I bought the tickets."

"Then why?"

"Before I bought them, I was thinkin' that you and Double Dork would wanna go together," he smirks. "Like a first date kinda thing."

"Woah, really?" I ask, looking at him. "Seriously?"

"Seriously," he smiles, running his hand through his green hair. "It's been a month since you and Edd started dating, right? Want them?"

"Hell, yeah!" I yell, snatching the tickets from his hands and staring at them in awe. "Thanks, Nat!"

"Yeah," he says. "Aren't I the best?"

"The best, Nat; the best!" I exclaim happily, shooting a row of virtual soldiers in sand-colored uniforms. Kill streak!

ו×

"An amusement park?" Edd asks skeptically, looking at the tickets.

"Yeah!" I say smiling. My smile weakens and I ask, "Do you not wanna go?"

"Well, I do not exactly favor roller coasters, Kevin," he says. "I doubt you'd have much fun at such a place with me."

"Oh, Edd," I sigh, flopping backwards onto his bed. "There's a lot more in an amusement park than rides."

"Really?" he asks, sitting on the bed.

"Yeah, man. There are arcades, the booths were you win stuff, and even a Farris wheel," I explain.

He looks away and bites his lip, then turns back with a cute smile on his face.

"Oh, alright," he agrees.

"Yes!" I shout happily, grabbing Edd and hugging him. I release him and stand up. "This is gonna be so freakin' fun!"

He smiles and nods, laughing at my excitement.

"When do you propose we leave?" he asks.

"Hmm... around one?" I ask, checking my phone for the time. "It's only about twelve right now."

"Won't it get dark around seven tonight?" he asks with worry in his crystal blue eyes.

"Yeah, but when it's dark, we go to the Farris wheel. It'll be all lit up and it'll look great."

He nods with understanding and stands up. "Well, then I suppose I should finish my chores and pack the necessities for this trip."

"Okay," I agree. "I'll text you before I leave, okay?"

"Yes," Edd says happily, smiling and hugging me before we go downstairs and I leave, pecking his blushing cheek with an innocent kiss.

On the walk home, I text Nat.

To: Nat--11:56 a.m.

yo, thx again for the tickets.

From: Nat--11:58 a.m.

yeh, man. np. im just glad ur not all sad ovr dd anymore. u guys r so cute ;)

To: Nat--11:58 a.m.

shut it, weirdo.

I laugh and stick my phone in my pocket. After a minute, I bite my lip and look at the ground, stuffing my hands in my coat pockets.