chapter twelve. kevin.

My heart throbs as I lead Double D into the locker room and sit him down on a bench.

"I'll only be a minute," I tell him.

He nods and looks around. "Where is the rest of the team?"

I shrug. "Guess they're late," I lie.

Truth is: I wanted to get here earlier so I could confess to him in private. I mean, let's face it: my life right now would get a hell of a lot easier if I asked him. Either he'd--to my surprise and to be honest, what I'd prefer--accept my confession and date me, or he'd reject me, causing me, although pain, time to get over the futile one-sided love.

I open my locker and begin to change into my football uniform when I see, from the corner of my eye, Double D turning to face an opposite wall of lockers.

I snort. "What are you doing?"

"I-I do not find it proper to look at another while they change," he stutters.

I laugh. "We're both dudes, Double D. It's fine. Don't you change in the locker room before gym class, anyway?"

"Not quite," he says, still facing the wall. "I gather my clothes and change in the handicap bathroom stall of the locker room."

I laugh and shake my head. "Double D, it's okay to change in front of other people."

I think for a bit, and then walk over to the bench. "What, are you chicken?"

"Chicken?" He asks. "For what reason would I be chicken?"

"Are you scared of changing in front of dudes or looking at them or something?"

"I am not scared!" Double D protests.

"Then look at me."

There's a pause. And then the slight turning of a head.

Edd takes a minute to respond, but when he turns, he just looks into my eyes.

"Happy?" He asks, half-smiling.

I laugh. Edd's smile get's wider, and his eyes stay on mine, but they swiftly move down and back up, and then around the room.

"Why do you change in a stall?" I ask.

"No reason," he lies.

I raise an eyebrow and he sighs.

"I just don't desire any drama," he says, looking at his lap.

"Drama?"

"Well," he says, smiling and chuckling. "I don't want to be laughed at or called names for how I look. I don't want to be hurt for looking the wrong way at someone while they change."

"Oh," I take a deep breath. "What would they call you?"

"Probably something profain. Anorexic, fag, queer, and dare I say, much more."

"Are you?"

"Am I what?"

"Are you gay?"

"I... Haven't really thought about my sexuality, to be honest, Kevin."

"Well," I ask, furrowing my brows and biting the inside of my lip. "Would you ever consider dating a guy?"

This is a bad idea, I tell myself. I'm gonna fuck it up.

"It depends who it is, I suppose," he says uncertainly. "Is that... is that odd?"

"No!" I say. "Not at all! But, I have another question."