chapter fifty-seven. nat.

It's kind of weird sitting in a room alone with an unconscious kid.  Well, an unconscious friend.

I don't know what to say to him, which I know is cliché, but it's harder to talk to someone who's in danger than you'd imagine, awake or not.

So, I start by saying, "It's been three weeks.  Your month is almost up, Edd."

I sigh and look out the window. It's already dark and the stars are coming out.

"Sorry, Edd," I say, not looking at him. "I know you're fighting, but it's just hard to be without you, you know?  Especially... Especially for Kevin.

"I don't know if you know this," I continue. "But he really likes you.  Kevin explained what happened the night all this started, and I don't know if he's told you, but it was all a mistake. Kevin would never try to hurt you. In fact, he would do anything to keep you out of harms way."

I stand from the windowsill and walk around the room. "I mean, remember when Kevin beat Jared's ass for messing with you on Halloween?  And all of those times during practice, when Kevin told off those guys for getting rough with you or calling you names?"  I smile in remembrance. "Long story short, Kevin would never intentionally hurt you.

"In fact," I shrug.  "He only was with Emma that night to help her with homework, and she got the wrong idea. But he'll explain that to you when you wake up."

I sit on the edge of Edd's bed and sigh. "Kevin... Is a difficult guy to be friends with.  Hell, I can't even imagine what it's like for you.  And he's so young, so it's hard for him to keep his mind on one thing or think of the consequences for his actions, sometimes.  But, even though he's so young, he's been through a lot: an abusive dad, and abusive ex, a dead mom, and the list goes on.

"Anyway, Edd, just be patient with him, okay? Ever since his mom died and his dad left, Kevin's been desperate for love.  And even when his desperation has been abused, he never broke things off with anyone because he's scared of abandonment."

I get up and head out of the room.

"I hope you understand what I'm saying," I say. 

I close the door and sit outside of the room, and wait for Kevin.