chapter nine. kevin.

"Hey, Double D," I say as I walk into my room. "You hungry? It's almost 5 o'clock."

He drops his phone on the bed amd straightens his back, checking his brown faux leather wristwatch. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take a break."

I smile and sit on the bed. "Where do you wanna go?"

"We aren't eating here?"

"No," I say. "Is that cool?"

"I don't see why not," he agrees, as he gets off my bed. He beings to organize his books and I tell him I'll be waiting downstairs.

I go down and grab the keys to my mother's car and go out to the garage to start it. I go back inside and wait while the car gets to optimal temperature.

Double D comes down after a bit, and we head into the garage.

"I must admit, Kevin," Double D chuckles, staring at my limited supply of cars. "Driving a white Volkswagen Beetle kind of diminishes your masculinity."

I laugh and roll my eyes. "Well, I can't help that my mom was quite feminine and chose this car for her, not me."

"Excuse me for asking, but you said 'was'?"

"Uh, yeah," I say, opening the passenger side door for Edd. "Here, get in."

ו×

"So, how many years has it been?" Edd asks after a minute.

"Since what?"

"Your mothers death."

"Oh, a few," I say, furrowing my brows at the road. "Four?"

"I see," Double D says. "I'm sorry for your loss, Kevin."

"Oh, it's fine," I say, laughing. "It's been a few years, so I've had time to recover, y'know? Though, it's not like my dad was around to help with that."

"Yes, I understand your stuggles," he relates.

Oh, crap, I think. Why am I complaining when this kid hardly ever sees his parents?

"Sorry about that," I say, turning my head to look at him. "About your parents."

"Oh, it is not a problem. Just the small price I pay for having two very intelligent surgeons as parents, I suppose," he says, smiling and looking out the window.

The car is silent for the majority of the ride, until he says, "I don't always mind never having my parents home."

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Well, so long as my parents are being of help to people while they are away, I can bear them being gone for such long periods of time." he says, staring out of the window again. "Plus, it isn't that bad. I've come to understand my parents' job and the sacrifices they make."

"Wow, that's... that's really mature of you, Edd."

Double D looks at me and laughs, smiling with amused expression.

"What?" I ask, smiling back at him. "I'm serious!"

"I'm sorry, it was just way too serious!" He laughs.

"Ugh, you're a nerd!" I say, rolling my eyes. "Whatever, we're here!"

I pull into the entrance of Jesse's Diner and park in an open space.

"Ready?" I ask, unbuckling my seatbelt and glancing at him.

He nods and does the same, then we step out of the car and walk in.

When we step through the door, the hostess gives us a small table next to the window (after giving us a grimace, might I add). She gives us two menus and mumbles, "Your server will be with you soon."

I look down at the menu, then glance up at Double D. He's biting the inside of his lip thoughtfully, his wonderful blue eyes fixated on his menu.

So cute, I think.

"Kevin?" he asks out of the blue.

"Yeah?"

"Have you decided as to what you would like to eat this evening?"

"Erm," I clear my throat. "Maybe the Black and Blue Burger?"

"Oh, I see," Double D hums, looking through the menu. "A 6 or 8-ounce burger , topped off with tomatoes, lettuce, onions, Swiss cheese and a side of fries."

"Yeah, sounds good, right?" I say. "What are you getting?"

"Hm," he hums. "I was thinking of ordering an Apple Salad."

"Woah, there buddy," I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes. "Think about your cholesterol; it's in danger."

"I beg your pardon, Mr. Barr! I find that salads are quite delicious," he smirks and fixes his beanie. "The nutritional benefits of salads are an incredible bonus."

"Yeah, I'm sure," I joke.

A waiter with vibrant green hair and gold earrings comes up to us after a few minutes and greets us.

"Hello, my name is Nat and I will be your server," he says, smiling mischievously. He winks at me. "Are you gentleman ready to order?"

I roll my eyes and look at Double D. "Yeah, I think we are."

"Okie dokie, what would you like to drink?"

"I'll have Coke," I say. "What about you, Double D?"

"May I have a water with lemon?"

"Sure," he says, jotting it down quickly in his book. "Do you know what you'd like to eat?"

Double D starts, asking for his salad. After I order, Nat takes our menus and leaves to get us our drinks.

When our food comes (which was quicker than I thought it would be), we finally engage in conversation.

"I wasn't aware that Nat worked here!" Edd says.

"Yeah, he asked me to bring you down since it's so slow and he's bored," I say, laughing. "But, anyway," I say. "How are you and the other dorks?"

"We're doing... Well...," he says, looking at the white napkin on his lap and squeezing it. "But, you know how it is. As we live, we grow out of old hobbies and into new. They left with their parents out to do who-knows-what, who-knows-where. Ed and I still text sometimes, but Eddy had some trouble, I heard.

"What about you and Nazz?"

"We're good," I say, kind of confused.

"Well, that's great! I'm happy you two are doing so well together."

"Yeah," I say, until I fully comprehend what he meant. "Wait, no."

I laugh nervously and say, "No, w-we aren't dating or anything..."

"Oh? I'm sorry, it's just-"

"No, it's okay. I mean, I can see why you'd think that, it's just--I don't want there to be any confusion, or whatever...," I sigh and rub my hand through my hair.

He nods and continues eating his food.

"This salad tastes very delicious, Kevin," he says, glancing up at me slyly.

I smile, lick my lips and bite them. "You're a dork," I say.

He smiles and bites his lip, looking at his plate and glancing at me.

"It's what I'm known for."