chapter seven. kevin.

The rain came down hard after school today. I felt bad for having him walk here through the rain, but it shouldn't be that bad. He does live next door, anyway.

I go into my room and look at the clock, then out of the window.

"It's 4 o'clock," I mumble. "Why's he so late?"

I sigh and turn away, then lay on my bed.

It's not like him to be late, I think. We got home at 3.

Then, my phone chirps.

I walk across the bedroom and grab it from the nightstand. I sit on my nicely-made bed and read the text.

From: Nat--3:55 p.m.

dude is he there yet?

To: Nat--3:55 p.m.

not yet.

From: Nat--3:55 p.m.

rlly? thats not like him.

To: Nat--3:56 p.m.

ik. is sumthing wrong w him?

From: Nat--3:56 p.m.

idk

why u askn me

Just before I can send another text, I hear my doorbell ring. My breath hitches in my throat and for one second, I can't breath.

I get off my bed quickly and run down the stairs, tripping more than once.

I take a moment to recollect myself and catch my breath before I finally open the door to a completely dry and smiling Double D. Of course, he was wearing more than one layer of rain wear.

"That's quite the get-up," I tell him, smirking.

"Well, I would definitely not wish to catch a cold, Kevin!" he argues jokingly. "May I come in?"

"Oh," I say, moving out of the way.

"Sorry for being late," he sighs.  "I got sidetracked while organizing my bedroom."

"It's fine," I say, chuckling.

He nods and comes inside. "Where shall I set my jacket?"

"Here." I hold out my hand.

He puts his large yellow rain jacket and red sweatshirt in my hand and I throw it on the couch.

"C'mon," I say. "I'll show you where my room is."

Double D picks his satchel up off the floor and follows me upstairs after looking at his wet coat on my sofa nervously. We walk into my bedroom and I marvel at my masterpiece. It took me an hour to make my bedroom look clean and presentable, and I believe that I deserve a medal. It's the first time my bedroom's looked this good.

"I must admit," Double D chuckles. "Your bedroom is much neater than I thought it would be, Kevin."

"Thanks," I say, basking in my glory. "I'll be right back. You can sit anywhere--on the bed or at the desk."

He agrees and I leave the room. I go to the bathroom and lock the door.

I rinse my face and dry it quickly, then look in the mirror.

You can do this, I think. You can go through this without screwing up. I believe in you.

I shake my head. Saying that I believe in myself sounds so unbelievably uncool.