chapter twenty. edd.

"Do you know what's on the menu for lunch today?"

"Dunno. Chicken nuggets or something, maybe?"

My face twists in disgust and I let out an "eugh" sound.

"What?" Kevin asks, an amused smirk spread across his face. "Don't like chicken?"

"It's not just that," I sigh, looking at Kevin with a disgusted grimace. "I mean, I may be vegan, but even if I wasn't, I'd think these chicken hockey pucks weare disgusting! The chicken nuggets that we are served are processed and contain all of the unpalatable parts of a chicken we would never eat such as: beaks, eyes, talons, and so on!"

"Oh, really?"

"Yes! Are you not appalled by the thought of actually eating, digesting this small puck of miscellaneous chicken parts?!"

"Well, not really," he shrugs. "It sounds kinda gross, I guess, but it still tastes pretty good if you ask me."

"Kevin, how could you say that?!" I exclaim with disbelief.

"Because I've been eating it my whole life?" Kevin laughs.

"Good, Lord!" I gasp. "I can't even begin to comprehend how you could consume something so vile!"

"It's easy," he explains, pretending to pop an invisible chicken nugget into his mouth. "Just put it in your mouth and chew."

"Eugh!"

Kevin laughs and puts my his arm around my shoulder. "How 'bout we finish of this very judgemental topic about chicken nuggets and hurry to the cafeteria. 'Kay?"

I smile and look up at Kevin. "I suppose you're right."

When we make it to the cafeteria, Kevin removes his arm from my shoulder. As we walk in, I look around at the crowded cafeteria for an empty table to sit at.

"Hey, Edd," I hear Kevin ask, breaking me away from my thoughts. "Wanna sit with me and my friends today?"

I look up at Kevin, confused.

"Excuse me?" I ask, surprise and confusion laced into my words.

"Yeah, uh, I wouldn't mind," he says, scratching the back of his neck nervously as he grabs a lunch tray and turns toward me. "And I know that everyone else would be cool with it. Not that you have to! Don't feel obligated to sit with me or anything, I was... just kinda hoping you would if I asked."

I was amused to watch Kevin as he nervously bit his lip and slid his tray down the counter, grabbing random foods from the lunch lady with sweaty palms.

"Are you sure that would be okay?" I ask, looking down at the poorly made salad that was shoved toward me by the beefy elderly lunch lady. "You don't have to invite me to eat at your table."

"But I want you to sit with me," he pouts.

I raised a brow at him curiously. "Really?"

"Really."

"Then, I guess I have no choice in the matter, do I?"

I smiled at him and said thank you to the lunch lady as I walked beside Kevin to his lunch table.

•×•

"So, guys," Kevin announced. "This is Edd. Some call him Double D. You can too."

I nod and smile, trying to seem friendly, but the way that the people at the table stared at me made me feel out of place.