chapter fifty-two. nat.

The first question he asked was how I was, which is completely stupid because he's the one at the hospital.

"Worried," I said. I laughed, but I. "You?"

"Me, too."

The answer was straight-forward, and when I looked over at him, he was staring out the window.

"So," I say. "How were things at the house?'

Kevin hesitates. "Fine."

"What happened tonight?"

"Emma and I did homework. Then she went home." He's clenching his fists in his lap, and his voice is tense.

"Please tell me the truth."

"I am," he insists.

I sigh and turn on the radio.

I waited for you, watching you sleep.
Machines were beating for you,
Dolled up in white, wrapped in tubes.
You wore them so gracefully.

Kevin changes the station to the next available one.

I know you know that I made those mistakes maybe once or twice.
And by once or twice I mean maybe a couple of hundred times.
So let me, oh, let me redeem, oh, redeem, oh, myself tonight.
'Cause I just need one more shot, second chances.
Is it too late now to say sorry?

Kevin grunted and turned the volume down to zero.

"Can you please tell me what your deal is?" I ask.

"My deal?" He asks. "I don't have a deal."

"Yes, you do."

"Oh, really?" Kevin scoffs. "I didn't know. Please, enlighten me."

"You were just at the hospital, for Christ's sake!" I say. I didn't realize that I raised my voice until I noticed that Kevin flinched at my voice, his eyes clenched for a second as he faced the window. I sigh and lower my voice. "Please, Kevin. I only want to help."

The car was quiet after I said that. So much so, that I would have thought I was deaf if not for the subtle sounds of the tires on the road, and the heaving of Kevin's heavy breathing (he's always been a heavy breather; kind of funny, now that I think about it). I chuckle at the thought, and he clears his throat.

"I just... I thought that if I helped Emma she'd finally just let go of what we used to be; I could finally get her off my back."

His voice cracks at the end. He clears his throat again and tells me everything, from when Emma first got to the apartment, to when she started flirting with him. And then, how she forced herself onto him.

"I was scared," he says. He laughs, but it's fake; hollow. "I swear to God, Nat, it's like I couldn't push her off. It's like I was suddenly too weak to help myself, which scared me the most."

He opened his mouth to say something else, but closed it. It didn't really matter, though. Because I know what he was going to say.

If I can't push some girl, how am I supposed to help Edd when he needs me most?

He shudders and changes the subject quickly, talking about how Edd came in the house and saw Emma on top of him. How Edd ran away, and how he went after him.

How Edd ended up getting hit by a car.

"I went to the hospital with the cop that pulled me over for speeding," he says. "That's also why I don't have my car."

"Did you see Edd?"

"No. I can't until tomorrow, when he's stabilized or whatever."

"Oh."

This was one of those awkward moments where you never know what exactly to say, because there really isn't much to be said. I could change the subject, but for some reason, that seems insincere. I want him to know I was listening and care. I could apologize, but I don't. Instead, I chuckle and say, "Wow, what a terrible night."

Kevin laughs, rubbing his face with his hands. "Yeah, it was pretty bad."

ו×

When we finally pull into Kevin's driveway, I notice an extra car in his driveway.

"Sure you don't want to come to my house?"

Kevin looks at his house, then at me.

"Yeah," he nods.

I nod back, and watch him get out of my car and walk to his house. As he walks to the front door of his house, he turns around and waves at me. I wave back and pull out of the driveway.

I'm worried about him.

ו×
Hey, guys!

I'm sorry for the hiatus, I've just been busy with work and trying to ressolve some personal issues.

But, anyway, happy Fourth of July to all you Americans! And to those that don't apply, I hope that you had a superb day!

Thank you so much for your patience! I hope a double update + an update in Nat's POV makes up for my absence (:

Ajax.