Prologue - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"If I gave you the eighty-ninth comic, mint condition, could I stay here, I'd need food and a proper bed, I'd need to make the place my own,"

"Heck girl if you had the eight-ninth in mint, you could have the place and anything you needed, for as long as you'd like!" the crotchety old man perked up.

"See that back pack over there," you said eyeing it up in the corner.

The man looked puzzled and contemplated your seriousness for a while, before hobbling to the back pack and pulling out said comic. 

"Girl, by god I don't want to know where this is from, or how you came by it, but you got a deal," he spun round handing you the bag and holding out his hand. 

You shook it, "the names ____, nice to meet you Jimmy J"

He beamed at you, "I'll keep the name too, it's better than mine," he gave a hearty chuckle and in that moment you knew you'd grow to like him.

---

The shed was no longer a shed, it was pretty much a house, a decent size bed, a cooking station and even a chair and some books that you'd been practicing your sketching in. But most importantly you had cleared the entire space in front of the shed, so you could start piecing together your saber. Jimmy J was suspicious of why you needed scraps of metal and tools, but he wasn't too bothered, after all he had only one copy to find now, it kept him busy. 

It must have been noon before you had bothered coming out of the shed, Jimmy J usually was at Maz's place, you'd come to realise she was the order on Takodana. She was nice, but you were pretty sure, she knew something was off about you, maybe she was force-sensitive too, you'd thought, but you wasn't too worried, not while ever she didn't say anything, besides you'd got really good at blocking people. 

You strolled up to Maz's castle, you were sporting your navy blue tight trousers and your white shirt, along with your brown sleeveless leather jacket which had followed you everywhere and that you didn't even steal. You also always carried, your backpack, with your essential stuff, you were far too used to having to leave in a hurry. 

Trudging through the largely wet jungle you finally made it and much to your surprise there was a new comer. You hadn't seen this ship before, you'd seen many generic ones, all high tech and very much the same, but this, this was beautiful and ornate, like nothing you had seen before. You walked into Maz's and noticed she was talking to two men and a woman, and you thought you'd leave her to it, it looked too serious for your liking. 

"To what do I owe the pleasure young lady?" Jimmy said as you walked to his usual spot, he was surrounded by his troublesome bunch, all different species, all of which you had previously met on other planets. 

"Thought we could play Sabacc," you raised an eyebrow.

To which the table roared with mischief, "didn't I teach you last time, people don't beat me at Sabacc!"

"When do we start?" you hummed plopping down next to Jimmy and gathering the cards. 

~~~

"Fuck - you dirty cheat!" you shouted bringing Jimmy's howling laughter to a halt.

"Keep talking like that girl and you'll get a smack," he spluttered laying down the cards he'd used to win the game for the second time in a row.

"Ugh, you ain't my dad," you stuck your tongue out and huffed leaning back into your chair so forcefully, you went crashing to the ground, "don't say it" you grumbled standing and dusting yourself off.

"Karma," Jimmy said breaking out into another fit of laughter, so loud you hadn't heard the first crash of many to come.

It wasn't until the music stopped and the place went silent before you heard the third crumbling crash, everyone shared frightened glances, until finally the silence was broken by screams as the roof came crumbing on top of four, five, six people you couldn't tell, the place was a blur, people rushing to the door as more rocks crumbled on top of bodies. 

Your body had already sprang into action lugging your bag onto your back and practically launching Jimmy off his chair, his face was pure shock horror and it was enough to make you sick to the stomach, you couldn't let him die, not today, not ever.

You pulled the now seemingly fragile old man to the door, the place mainly empty of living people, as the sounds of gun fire and screaming blared around you like white noise. Your vision was a haze of blurred colours and lines, like you'd had one too many to drink. 

You took one last leap of faith to the crumbling doorway pulling Jimmy whilst still trying to hold him upright, it was so close, you could smell the forest air, the smell of metallic ships and blaster fire. But it was too late, one rock too late, as it crushed Jimmy's leg into place and you was left in a mass of rubble right at the side of a battle, only a few stone bricks serving as cover. 

...

You were screwed.