"Woah, why not complain another way?"

"Excuse me? And you are?"

"I'm," He danced coordinating with how he introduced himself. "Kevin Olusola."

"Woah! Can I try?"

"Sure!"

"I'm.....Mitch Grassi!"

The other detention kids clapped for him.

"Oh my god! You dance on negro day, don't you?"

"Of course I do." They were all still dancing. "My mom hosts the show. I've seen you around school. You can dance. Why don't you audition?"

"Mrs. Maldonado wasn't having it."

"Why?"

"I'm gay."

"Oh. That's weird, I guess that she and her daughter don't know that Scott-"

"Esther!" Mitch squealed. "I made a friend! This is Kevin. He dances on negro day." Mitch opened the door, letting Esther in.

"Oh yeah? I've seen her at the machine getting her gum." Kevin said.

"I do two packs a day." Esther grinned.

"Hey, Mitch. Avi himself is gonna be at the dance. Just audition for him there." Kevin thought out loud.

"Like I'll ever find him."

~

"I heard that Scott's singing tonight."

"Is he? I don't care anymore. It's not like I'll ever be on the Avi Kaplan show with him. And at school he always hangs out with the Avi Kaplan council."

"Hey, look!" Esther pointed. "It's Avi Kaplan!"

"Oh my god!" Mitch perked up and ran to him as the music, Scott, started.

"Hey, kiddo. Whatcha need?" Avi asked.

"I tried to audition for your show, but Mrs. Maldonado-"

"Sorry, kiddo. What Maldonado says goes."

"Just, take a chance on me."

"Alright. What's your name?"

Mitch remembered what he learned in detention.

"My name is," he danced the same way he did in detention. "Mitch Grassi!"

"Woah, you've got talent, kid! I saw you dancing over there a little earlier. I'd love to have you on the show!"

~

"Roll call!"

"I'm Kirstin!"

"Brad!"

"Tammy!"

"Fender!"