surprises

Sometimes they'd surprise each other. It could just be with the littlest things, like food, or material items, but they'd surprise each other.

Like when Scott asked Mitch to date him. He had this whole big plan, but things started to fall apart. So, he just made it basic. He took him outside for a picnic, and walked him to the roof of their apartment building to look at the sunset. Sure, Mitch was surprised when Scott started singing. But, Scott was more surprised than Mitch was, because Mitch leaned in and kissed him while he was in the middle of a lyric.

There was also Christmas. Mitch was never good at gifts, and Scott was okay with that. Scott got Mitch a record player with vinyl for all of his favorite bands and singers, and Mitch was speechless. So, when they just lie there for the rest of the day, Scott surprised him with one more thing right as Mitch was falling asleep. The thing was, he thought that Mitch was already asleep. When he whispered "I love you," into Mitch's ear, he didn't think Mitch heard it. But, the next morning when Mitch woke Scott up with soft kisses, the first thing he said was, "I love you too."

Sometimes Scott would go see his nephew, Landon. Mitch would feel lonely while he travelled, but he knew how much Landon meant to Scott. He even wrote Light in the Hallway for him. But around Valentine's Day, Mitch wasn't having it. He knew Scott would be there by the 14th, but today, he was really missing Scott. What he didn't know, was Kirstie was texting Scott about how much Mitch missed him. What he didn't know, was Scott was in LA, and he'd knock on their apartment door in an hour and a half. What he didn't know, was that Scott paid extra for the new plane ticket. And when Scott knocked on the door, Mitch stepped back, placed his hand on his mouth, almost like he was seeing a celebrity, and then ran to him and kissed him.

When 2016 rolled around, they were performing everywhere. One time Scott was overly tired and stressed, and they had three meetings to go to, but no performances. He woke up to the smell of breakfast in the kitchen, but when he looked at the clock, he panicked. He and Mitch were late to the first meeting. He ran to the kitchen to tell Mitch, and Mitch greeted Scott with a smile and a plate of pancakes, and told him that he called in "sick" for the both of them, so they had the day to themselves. Scott spent the rest of the day with his arms wrapped around his boyfriend, happier than he thought he'd be that morning, with all of the stress gone.

Mitch and Scott loved surprises, but this next one was their favorite.

Nobody thought that Mitch would be the one to propose.

But when he got down on one knee during their concert in Atlanta, Scott's hand flew to his mouth and he started to cry. They kissed on the stage and all of the fans disappeared for a moment, it was just the two of them in the room. Once they pulled away, it was the best show they'd performed.