senior

because this happened in chorus yesterday and i got really emotional. i'm a junior in high school btw.

Mr. Kaplan sat at the piano, playing the intro to "A Thousand Miles."

The bell rang.

"Okay, guys. As you know, today is the seniors last day in this class. For the next week, they'll be doing graduation stuff while the rest of you are in school."

We all nodded.

"So, as the tradition continues, I invite the seniors to give a speech to the juniors, sophomores, and freshmen. Who would like to go first?"

Lots of mumbling. Nobody wanted to go first.

"I'll go!" Kirstin said, standing up and walking to the chair set up in the front of the class. "Now, don't expect this to get too emotional." She sat in the chair. "Oh, who am I kidding? I'll probably cry in the first sentence."

"You've already said your first sentence," Scott said.

"Shut the fuck up!"

The class laughed.

"Okay. Whew." She took a deep breath. "Being a part of this choir for the past four years has been the best thing I've ever done." I could already see her eyes welling up. "I remember walking in on the first day, freshman year, and seeing Mr. Kaplan sing really low, and I was like, 'How the hell is he supposed to be able to teach a girl to sing?' But somehow," her voice got choked up. "He did. And I love him for that. I love you all. Okay. I'm gonna go cry now." She stood up and ran over to her friends.

We all laughed and clapped.

I felt an arm wrap around my shoulder. I turned my head to who I knew it was.

"Hey." I said quietly, giggling.

"Hey, cutie." He whispered. "I have to make a speech today."

"Don't." I leaned my head on his shoulder and laced my fingers with his on one of my hands.

"Why not?" He chuckled.

"Because then it seems real."

"It is real." He said. "I won't be in this class tomorrow. I won't come back to this choir."

"Stop," I felt a tear fall on our hands. "I don't want to talk about it."

He kissed me. "I'm still making a speech."

"Fuck you."

"I love you too."

Some other seniors made some speeches, such as Jake and Alex.

Then, it was Scott's turn.

He kissed my cheek quickly so nobody would notice and 'aww' before he got up and sat in the chair in the front of the class.

"Hey, guys. My name's Scott and I'm an alcoholic." He joked, and the class laughed. "Being your chorus president this year was the best choice I've ever made. I was actually thinking of not accepting my nomination." He laughed a little bit. "But look where I helped take this program." He looked around the room. "I love this place. I'm really going to miss it here. But don't think you'll get rid of me, Mr. Kaplan. I'll only be twenty minutes away. I'll be here more than I was freshman year." The class laughed. "Some advice, uh," he stopped to think. "Don't talk bad about people. Don't wish the time away. Senior year flies by already, don't wish for it to leave, because soon you'll be in the work world away from all of your best friends with no idea what to do."

My heart sank and I started to feel wetness on my cheeks. I could tell he saw the change in my expression, so he changed the subject.

"Don't have a bad attitude. Being nice is so easy, just, I don't know, all the bad stuff is worthless. Fuck it. It sucks, anyways." He took a deep breath. "I'm gonna miss all of you. A lot." The pitch of his voice changed, and I could tell he was going to cry. "Shit, here it comes." He laughed. "I love all of you. Don't change the program too much. It's great right now. I can't wait to see what Mitch will do as president next year. Make it great, Mitch." He stood up and wiped his tears. "I can't talk anymore or I'll start bawling. Oh, and I'll stop being an alcoholic."

The class laughed and clapped for him, and Scott came and sat by me.

"Walk with me to the hallway?" He asked.

I nodded.

We got up and walked out of the room, to "our spot" in the hallway where we always stood and talked before chorus.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." I felt more tears fall down my cheeks, they hadn't stopped since they first started.

"Baby, don't cry." He swiped under my eyes with his thumbs and wrapped his arms around me in a hug. "I'm right here." He sounded choked up, he was crying now, too.

I sobbed silently into his shirt, and a girl walking by gave us some weird looks.

"But you won't be here next year."

"Yeah, but I'm living at home for college, you'll still see me."

"It's not the same." I said, looking up at him. "I wish you were in my grade and we could leave together. Be co-presidents or something."

He chuckled lightly through his tears.

"I love you. Shh. It's okay to cry. It's okay." He ran his hand up and down my back. "I know, love. I know."

I pulled away from his hug and looked up at him.

"God, I probably look horrible." I said, finally composing myself a little.

"Here," he wiped my tears away. "Beautiful as always."

"Stop, I'm gonna cry again." I laughed, punching his chest lightly.

"C'mere," he laughed. He pulled at my shirt and kissed me.

"No PDA, boys," a teacher said, walking down the hallway.

"Sorry," he told her.

We walked back into the chorus room, holding hands. I screamed when he started to tickle me.

"Hoying, you're dead!"

God, I'm gonna miss this idiot.

ooooohkay so pretty much how it went down for me yesterday was my best friend is a senior and i'm a junior. and it was heartbreaking for me to see her speech. we had a last hug and everything and it was sad because she's going to college halfway across the country. leave me some comments & feel free to suggest anything. love you!!