hairspray

based on the musical hairspray. (cast list at the end if you want to see that first!) also Esther and Avi aren't related in this. Esther's last name is duncan. also this takes place in 1962.

"Hurry, Esther! We'll miss the show!" Mitch grabbed his best friend's hand and tugged her along.

"I'm hurrying, Mitch, my mother says I'm too young to perspire!"

The two teenagers ran into the Grassi household, turning on the TV and sitting down on the couch.

They watched the other kids who went to their school dance and sing on "The Avi Kaplan Show," when the deep-voiced show host started to sing, too.

"Oh, every afternoon when the clock strikes four-"

Mitch and Esther sang along to the oh too familiar opening song, until time came for "roll call."

"I'm Kirstin!"

"Brad!"

"Tammy!"

"Fender!"

"Brenda!"

"Sketch!"

"Shelly!"

"I.Q.!"

"Lou-Ann!"

"And I'm..." there was a drumroll, as the tall boy spun on his heels.

"Scott."

Mitch and Esther squealed.

"He's so gorgeous!"

"I wish he liked boys. Then again, being gay is 'atrocious.'"

"Nice white kids who like to lead the way, and once a month we have our negro day!"

"Why can't every day be negro day? It's my favorite day on the show!"

"Kirstin, is it?" Nel asked. "That pretty blonde girl?"

"Kirstin's pretty, but she can't dance." Mitch said, gesturing to the tv, where Kirstin was taking a fall.

"Yeah, I don't understand why Scott likes her." Esther said.

"Oh, hey, Mrs. Duncan! Here to pick up your petty pants?" Nel said to Esther's mom.

Esther ducked behind the couch. She wasn't supposed to be there.

"Yes I am, Nel. How much?"

"Four dollars.

"That's a little expensive, oh well. How are you, Mitch?"

"I'm good, Mrs. Duncan! How's Esther? She's at book club, right?"

"She is! She's great."

"What? No, Esther's right-"

Mitch cut his mother off by placing his hand on her mouth. "At school. She's at school."

"What are you talking about? She's right here!" Nel gestured to the living room.

"Esther?" Mrs. Duncan asked.

"Hi, mom." Esther stood up. "Gee, how did I get here?"

"Nice try, Esther." Mrs. Duncan grabbed her shirt collar. "You're coming with me."