how i met your mother

location: kevin & scott's shared apartment

"Will you marry me?" Scott was down on one knee.

"That was good, that was good. He'll say yes for sure. As if you two weren't a match made in heaven, anyways." Kevin said.

"I'm just nervous." Scott stood up.

"Don't be. You two are the perfect couple. You got this. You've been together for nine years!" Kevin patted Scott's back.

Before Kevin could open his mouth to say something else, his phone rang.

Scoot could hear the familiar deep voice say "Suit Up!", and he responded with a laugh. As Kevin finished his conversation, Scott walked off, staring at the box in his hand.

"What happens if he doesn't say yes?" Scott muttered under his breath.

"Scott," Kevin interrupted Scott's thoughts. "I have to go to MacLaren's. Good luck with Mitch and everything."

"Thanks, I'll need it." Scott laughed to himself.

"No post engagement sex on the kitchen floor!"

"Got it!"

~

"Hey, babe." Mitch walked in the door and took his coat off.

"How were the kids today?"

"Kindergarteners are kindergarteners. Loud and adorable." He walked over to Scott, kissing his lips. "Is that dinner I smell?"

"Mhm," Scott walked Mitch into the kitchen. "I also have champagne."

"Someone's being romantic tonight," Mitch kissed Scott again. "You're not still afraid to open the bottle, are you?"

"Of course not." Scott grabbed the bottle, ready to open it.

About a minute passed.

"Scott, come on."

"Okay, maybe I'm a tiny bit afraid."

"Why are you even afraid of that?"

"The pop."

"The pop?"

"It's loud!"

"Scott, are you kidding me?!"

The two boys started quarreling, nothing that would even end up being a real fight or anything, just about the "pop" of the champagne bottle, and why Scott's afraid of it.

"I just don't understand why you're afraid of something as petty as-"

"Will you marry me?" Scott got down on one knee in one swift, sudden motion.

"Wh-what? Yes! Of course. I-I love you. Yes," he grabbed Scott's cheeks and kissed him, once the ring was on his finger, this time with more passion.

"I was so afraid you'd say no," Scott whispered against Mitch's lips.

"Scott, I'm the one who said 'I love you,' first. Why on earth would you ever think that I wouldn't want to marry you?"

"Nerves. Alcohol. I don't know." Scott kissed Mitch again, and Mitch's hands made their way up to Scott's shirt, unbuttoning it and lifting it over his head.

"I promised Kevin we wouldn't have sex on the kitchen floor."

"Screw Kevin. No, screw me."

Scott laughed a breathy chuckle.

~

"You guys did it on my kitchen floor? That's nasty, you guys. Y'all are gross."