Chapter Eighty: Catalyst

Start from the beginning

"So aside from the fact that my baby sister has been dating an alien, why does this matter right now?" Sawyer scowled.

"Not aliens. Just differently evolved." Riley stated, rubbing her eyes. "Megan and Hazel's species are born in a pattern of threes. In triplet sets. The eldest, that's Megan, is very emotionally versed and sympathetic. The second, Hazel, can be like ether of their siblings, and the third..." Riley sighed. "The third is apathetic. They are the perfect assassins and murderers because they literally feel nothing but animal urges." She shook her head slightly. "Megan and Hazel's youngest sister is named Alexa... And she... Has taken an interest in Hazel's life." She took a long pause. None of us were ready to hear it, even though I'm sure we all knew what was coming.

"We are using every resource at our disposal and every agent we can spare is being sent to recover her, but Alexa has taken Grace." My heart clenched desperately, making me want to scream out in agony and somehow let myself try to bring her back (probably by attacking everything near me, which I know is useless but it's an outlet). I knew I'd kill, without question or doubt, to bring her back safe.

"So... Our daughter has been kidnapped by a murderous sociopath all because she is involved with Hazel?" Mr. Daniels glared at me. Blaming me. And god it hurt. What if he wouldn't let me see Grace again? What if, even if we got her back, they kept her away from me? What of me could survive that? I didn't even care I had no idea why I was so invested in this, all I knew was whatever Grace and I had was hanging on Riley's abilities of persuasion and Grace's family's algorithms.

"Zel..." Megan leaned over and pulled me into her arms, letting my hurt whines escape into her muffling clothes. "None of this is Hazel's fault. She has done all she could to keep Grace safe."

"Clearly not enough." Sawyer hissed.

"I'm going to the lockdown room." I stated into Megan's neck before getting up and leaving, unwilling to bear any more blame and confusion. Especially the heartache. I couldn't take it.

Really, I don't know if I was more mad at myself for making all these mistakes in the first place, or for letting them get under my skin now. I was supposed to be able to take this kind of unfavorable disarray.

Regardless, I was mad. I was sad and mentally exhausted, but my muscles were tense with adrenaline and I was stating to feel my hold on myself slipping away into the complete din of internalized fury.

I slammed the door to the conference room and quickly made my way back to the chamber Megan and I were staying in. When I walked in, I hastily there the door shut and, knowing the room was soundproof, screamed out the bubble of rage in my throat. From there, I don't really remember moving, but I remember my cot had been hurled to the other side of the room and my knuckles were stinging irritatingly. Hissing, I made my way to the bathroom and began washing off the irritant. The water quickly ran red and I realized I'd probably punched the bomb-proof walls of my chamber a good few times with my bare hands. I hadn't had a flare like this since... Never, really.

I sighed, opening the cabinet above the sink and grabbing the first aid kit, wrapping up my bleeding hands with the bandage inside the box.

"Hazel, why would you repeatedly punch a wall built to withstand just about everything? What part of that seemed like a good idea to you?" I groaned internally. "Riley wanted me to keep an eye on you while everyone else finishes that debriefing." Micha, the source of the voice, called from outside my bathroom, probably looking over all the recent damage I'd done.

"Well, I'm fine. You can go away now." I growled, clenching and opening my fists, watching how my fingers moved for no real reason, not really bothering to pay attention to the pain they were in. It hurt but it's just... Why even care?