Chapter 94

Theo's POV:

Today Shailene and I decided we would decorate the baby's room, she won't be able to do much actual decorating but she can definitely help. We've decided on an animal themed bedroom, like a safari. So when he's old enough to know what it all is it'll be like walking into a jungle whenever he enters his bedroom. 

We go out to the shops, to buy various green, blue and brown paint, and different lights we can hang. Whilst he's still young obviously he'll need to sleep in a cot, but when he's old enough we thought it would be cute to get a bunk bed and decorate that like a tree also. We find wall stickers of animals like giraffes, monkeys and snakes. 

When we get back to the room, we begin by painting. I paint the main bulks of colour whilst Shai adds on the artistic bits which require detail and time. She's always had an artistic side to her and today it's coming to a great use. It makes me wonder what our son will be like and what his interests will be. It would make sense if he went into acting but Shai and I won't try influence his hobbies at all. 

After the whole day spent painting the walls, we finally lay in bed, exhausted. I go downstairs to the kitchen to get some water for us both when I hear Shai scream my name. I drop everything and run up to her as quickly as I possibly could. She's sitting up right on the sit of the bed and grabs my hands. 

"Theo!" She says through gritted teeth.

"Shai, what's wrong, talk to me." I try to say as calmly as possible. 

"It hurts Theo, so much!" Tears begin to fill her eyes and I realise our bed sheets are wet, it looks as if she had wet herself but it doesn't take long at all for me to realise what's really happening. 

"I'm going to call an ambulance, I think our little man's on the way, Shai!" I try to sound excited, because I am, but also because I need Shai to be calm and not frightened. 

"Oh my God Theo, this is really happening." She says as sweat breaks on her forehead. I dial for an ambulance.

"Hey, an ambulance please, yeah my wife's having a baby and I'm pretty sure like now..." That's all I can do for explaining before I tell them where we live and the details they need to know. I hold Shai's hand and help her along the way. I wish it was me who has to feel this pain so she could just enjoy the birth of our child. 

Shai's POV:

All I can focus on is Theo's breathing. His shoulders broaden as he inhales, and his eyes close when he exhales. I try my best to follow the pattern but it's too difficult. I can feel the tears falling down my face but I don't feel like I'm crying. Theo holds me as we walk down to the ambulance, where I'm greeted by two ladies. They smile at me and take me off Theo, helping me in. I can see Theo tense up as the loss of contact and immediately try to regain it. 

The journey goes so fast, so many questions and feelings. I'm so scared but so excited. This is really happening now. Our son is going to be brought into the world now, and it's all down to me. I lay in a bed in the hospital and everything is all set up around me. They offered me a mask to help my breathing but I want to do this. Theo sits next to me with his shirt untucked from his jeans and his sleeves rolled up, even right now I've found the time to just stop for a second and admire how handsome he is. He smiles and takes my hand as his eyes begin to tear up. 

"Okay Shai, looks like you're ready to push, on the count of three." The nurse says looking up at me. I squeeze Theo's hand and he squeezes mine back.

"You've got this, I love you." He whispers, just as I hear the nurse call 3. I push with everything in me and it doesn't feel like anything happened. I push again, and I begin to feel it. The baby's moving. I focus on my breathing and scream a little. The pain is completely overwhelming but I have to carry on. 

I don't know how long I was pushing before I heard the tiny cries of my son. I look over to Theo who's got tears down his face. I move my eyes to the nurse holding my baby, and another nurse handing Theo some scissors. I watch him cut the umbilical chord and smile. The next thing I know I'm holding my baby in my arms. 

"Hi, I'm your Mummy." I whisper and I gently sway him to calm him down.

"He's perfect." Theo says after a while, and I am totally lost in this whole moment. In the look of love in Theo's eyes. In the presence of my son. In the fact that I am in control of someone else's life now.