Chapter Twenty-Nine

Theo's POV:

I'm confused, I can't open my eyes, I can't move anything. I'm trying to talk, to scream but nothings happening. Why is nothing happening? This is like being trapped in a nightmare, only worse. This is real. I can feel a soft hand closed in mine, and I can hear Shai's delicate voice crying. Why is she crying? Where am I? Why is nothing making sense? So many questions I physically can't ask. I know I'm alive, I know I've survived the crash, but does Shai? I'm more determined now than ever to move, to get to her. She's weak right now, I need to be strong and pull through this for her. All my muscles feel dead, like when you sleep on your arm and you can't move it at all unless you pick it up with the other. My whole body feels like that. I just want to shout 'I'm not dead' 'I'm alive'. This isn't over not for me and Shai. Suddenly she stops crying her voice is gentle, and she holds my hand tighter.

"Theo, my dear Theo. I know you can't hear me, but I need to talk to you. All the things I should have said, like I love you. I love you so much, and I every single day I awoke thinking how thankful I was to have you, you didn't know how much you mean to me, and now you may never know, and it's all my fault," she begins to cry and I want to too, this is not her fault, its mine! "I sometimes thought about the future, thought about if maybe some day, we'd get married, I wish you hear me. If you make this I swear I'll make things right, you may never forgive me for putting you in here, but I will never love anyone else, because honestly, I don't want to." She stops speaking and just sobs into my chest, why won't my body work. I need her to know I heard all of that, every word. This isn't her fault, and the longer I don't work the longer she'll believe it is, I'm not losing her. Shai overthinks almost everything, and I'm not there to stop her. She's mine. I can't believe she ever thought about us getting married, that's so sweet. I'd love to marry her, and I want her to know that one day we will get married, because I swear I'll pull through this, whatever it is.

Shai's POV:

I feel like an idiot talking to Theo, but I needed release. All these emotions I should've been telling him every day, all these feelings I felt for him he doesn't know I have. I can't help but cry into him wishing he'd wake up, with his boyish smile and kiss me, making everything feel better. All I can do is wait, and I feel like it's not enough. I'm useless, but I refuse to leave his side.

It's been a few hours and I feel like Theo's getting some colour back in his cheeks, I prop myself up on both elbows on his bed and watch him, pretending he's sleeping and it's an early Sunday morning. I could do this for hours if the reality didn't constantly interrupt. I lean back and curl up in the chair, and turn on my phone. I should probably call Zoë and tell her about any changes. As the signal starts to kick in I see I have a text, I can't imagine who it could be from as I've got Theo's phone, and it's not like he can text right now. The confusion goes as I realise who, it feels like I've been punched in the stomach when I see his name, it haunts me.

'Poor Theo in hospital, lucky I know where you are so you'll never be alone.'

I feel sick to my core reading each and every word, I am not safe here, but like I said, I will never leave my boyfriends side, and as I close my eyes to cry I feel Theo's hand tighten. He's moving. His eyes are opening and he manages a weak smile. The tears automatically fall from my eyes, both from excitement and fear. He's alive. He's not left me. "Hey" he breathes as he struggles to sit up, "I heard you speaking to me earlier." He finishes with a smile. I don't think I can bring words to my mouth so I kiss him letting him know exactly how I feel, but I can see in his eyes he knows something's not right. "What's up?" he says, looking worried. He's so strong, he's almost lost his life, and he asks me what's wrong. "I'm just so happy to see you alive, Theo" I say, half telling the truth. "No," he says, and I know I'm going to have to lie better, "you're upset, I know you well Shai, I love you remember, tell me anything." As if I'd worry him by telling him about Mark, he was angry enough before this happened. "Honestly Theo, this was just really emotional for me, I'm fine."