Chapter 88

Shai's POV:

After a long day with Zoë I end up in bed just staring at the ceiling, seeing different patterns and shapes in the paint. There just isn't any part of me that is tired. I start to get up and just tidy things around me to try and pass some time or tire myself, but everything is already pretty tidy, even Theo's stuff for once. I hear noises coming from outside the bedroom and I feel myself freeze. There is no reason there should be any noise apart from noise I make. I slowly turn around to see a tall figure in my door way causing me to scream. I must have closed my eyes as all I see is darkness and I can hear Theo's voice in my ear and his arms around my waist. For some reason a sudden anger comes over me and I find myself hitting his arms and shouting at him.

"What is wrong with you? Why haven't you called? Who was you with? Why are you here?" Every thing comes out in one big breath and I just sit down with my head in one hand and the other hand being held by Theo, allowing his thumb to rub in a circular motion until I've started relax and breathe steadily. 

"I am so sorry, Shai. It was Ruth, I hung up because I didn't want you seeing or hearing an argument, and I didn't want her to have the opportunity to say anything to you either. The moment she started speaking to me I knew I was going to leave, there's nothing in the world that would make me want to work with her, especially a role that has to be in love with her. I'm so sorry. I got on the first flight back and haven't been able to call you as I was on the plane, and then my phone died, I wasn't expecting to be flying home today. Shai, I love you so much, I would never do anything to put you in stress or pain on purpose. You know that right? God, I love you." I listen to every word he says carefully, and I can hear the croak in his voice that only ever appears when he's holding back tears. There's so much to take in from what he said, and I have so many questions but the main thing that's bothering me is that he's upset. My strong, solid Theo is upset and that's the worst pain to see in this world. I take his hands and squeeze them tightly. 

"Hey, I obviously have a lot to talk to you about because a lot happened but right now I want you to calm down. I love you, no matter what happens, I will always love you. Yes, we will both make mistakes in the relationship, we already have and we survived. We make each other strong, and that's what's so great about us." He immediately begins to calm down when I start talking and places himself next to me on the bed. He bites his upper lip and closes his eyes for a few seconds. 

"I should've handled it better." He says under his breath. I agree, he should have but that's the past now. I debate telling him about the baby kicking but I'm still deciding if that's good or bad news for him. It must be painful to find out you missed your sons first kick. I place my head on his shoulder and we stay like this for a few moments. For now, it's only us we need to worry about. 

Theo's POV:

I didn't mean to scare Shai, I didn't mean to upset her, I didn't mean to ignore her. Everything that has happened today has just been a mess and it's all my fault. Seeing her panic when she saw me made my chest ache. I hate that I was the cause of that. We sit in silence, but this silence is so loud. I know she's thinking about so much, and so am I. 

So many thoughts were running through my mind when I was in London that I didn't think to call Shai. I was angry at myself, so angry at myself. I should have found out information about the movie before going to the audition, I should never have left Shai at home to go to London without knowing every single last detail, and even still it shouldn't have been more deserving of my time than Shai. She has every right to be mad, and I can't understand why she isn't more mad right now. 

"What happened after you hung up?" She says not looking at me. 

"I told her I was leaving, and she laughed, I guess she thought I was joking. Once I stood up to leave she pulled me back, she was saying all this stuff about me never really getting over her and how she would take me back if I just asked, but honestly Shai, I wasn't really listening. All I could think about was getting home to my family- you. The only thing Ruth achieved was reminding me exactly why I left her." Everything I'm saying is the truth, Ruth's psychotic ways of thinking just allows me to think about how damn perfect my wife is. Shai and the baby are my number one priorities now, and if that means turning down a thousand job offers then I won't even think twice about it. Shai just nods her head, still a little startled from before. 

"I need to tell you something, it's both good and bad news I guess." My heart sinks with fear and confusion. What could she need to tell me that's bad news? Surely she can't do anything like leave me?

"Go ahead."

"The baby kicked whilst you were gone, it's really an incredible feeling, and I'm sure he'll do it again and you can feel." She says this with sad eyes. I know I should be happy that the baby is kicking, but I can only feel bad right now. I can not believe I missed such an important milestone of her pregnancy. 

"I promise, I will never leave your side again." I look her straight in the eyes and kiss her cheek. She smiles and nods, kissing me back. 

"It's the past, lets focus on now and the future. I love you." She whispers and begins to yawn. I yawn too, and we lay down soon falling asleep in each others arms.