Chapter Fifty-Seven

Theo's POV:

I know I said she needed space but she's been gone for two hours now and left her phone. I don't care if she's mad at me, right now she's my priority and it's my job to protect her, so I feel my option is to go to Miles', maybe we can all sit down and discuss this. 

I can't help the heavy knock I used when I got to Miles' but anyhow it made Miles answer within seconds. 

"Is she in here Miles, I need you to tell me the truth?"

"Calm down, who?"

"Shai, she's been gone 2 hours, is she here?"

"No, oh my god is she okay?"

I can see genuine concern in his face and voice, and my heart stops. Where is she then? I can't believe it but tears just fall from my eyes before I can even think to stop them, I don't want to cry in front of Miles, but she could be anywhere right now. 

"Come on," he says, "get in your car we'll look for her, I'll drive"

I don't answer but just walk towards the passenger side of my car, and he follows. I don't think Miles even knows where he's driving right now but we're both searching the road sides and looking for her car, even though I know it's at home. My phone starts to ring from and unknown caller and Miles pulls over so he can listen too most probably. 

"Hello?"

"Mr James?"

"Yes, who's this?"

"I'm Dr Glover, I believe your girlfriend Shailene Woodley has been brought into our Emergency Room, she was found in a field passed out. Your the number on her file to call"

"Fiancé, but thank you, I'll be right there"

I hang up and start to shake, what the hell happened to her. Miles looks at me worried for a minute before he decides to speak.

"Hey, Theo, I just want to say I'm sorry, I know you love her and make her happy, I really am sorry"

"Yeah, we need to go to the hospital now, we'll talk about that later, thanks though"

"The hospital?!"

I don't even answer because I want him to get on the road. I just want to know what's happened, this is the last time I don't follow her when she walks out. Or I'll at least make sure she has her phone if she's going to be pissed at me. This is all my fault, I should have followed her, I should have listened and not brought up Miles. Of course she loves me, she's marrying me. Miles is a good man, he deserves to know that. 

"Miles, I'm sorry. I promise you'll be more involved if you want. If I'm honest we had an argument about you, and you have a connection with her I'll never have, so when we get to the hospital, if she doesn't want to talk to me, please make sure she's okay"

"Dude, it's fine okay. She won't still be mad at you, just breathe"

He's right I need to calm down. Whilst Miles parks I get out and run to the gift shop in the hospital to buy Shai a teddy and some flowers but when I'm in there I notice the small jewellery section of the shop. I go over to look and find a silver necklace in the shape of a moon, with 'I love you to the moon and back' engraved. I buy it along with some flowers and rush to the desk to find out where she is. 

I practically run to her room, and see Miles sitting next to the bed holding her hand and I notice she's still not awake. Just as I'm walking a doctor calls my name and I look up. It must be Dr Glover. 

"Mr James, I just want to update you. Shai's got a stomach ulcer, is there any stress she's under right now that could cause this?" I go to answer but he carries on. "Also, don't worry she's only asleep, naturally" 

"Yes, we're planning a wedding and her best friend said he wouldn't come but it's all coming together now. I'll make sure she's relaxed, can I see her?"

"Please make sure that she is relaxed because she was lucky this time"

"Okay, thank you"

As I walk in I put the flowers in a vase they have in the room, and sit on a chair the other side of the bed to Miles and hold her hand too. I really feel like this is my fault, I suggested the wedding too soon, we don't have to get married in two months and I didn't have to bring up Miles, I just wish she would tell me if she's getting stressed out because together we can work through these things. I start to move my thumb in a circular motion on her hand, I do it when she's nervous but most of the time it calms me down too. The beeping of the machine calms me down as well, at least I know everything is okay oxygen and heart wise.

"They're nice flowers" Miles says, obviously just trying to make conversation.

"Yeah, the colours reminded me of her" I don't want to mention the necklace, I feel like it's rubbing it in a little but suddenly I feel a squeeze on my hand. I look down to see Shai's eyes trying to open and her mouth form a small smile. 

"Theo?" She whispers.

"It's okay, I'm here, I'm here" I whisper back and she tugs my hand to pull me into a hug, where I hear her just cry. Hearing Shai cry is the worst thing in the world but right now, just knowing she's safe, alive and with me is all I can ask for. I lean back and kiss her forehead. "Miles is here too." I state.

Shai's POV:

Opening my eyes to see Theo relieved me in so many ways. I can't even begin to apologise to him as I don't physically have the words to say. This must have worried him so much, I don't even know what happened to me but I can only imagine the panic it caused. 

I look to my left and see Miles, for real. I don't know why I didn't believe it was really him but it was, him and Theo are actually sitting beside me. 

"You okay Woodley?" He says letting go of my hand. 

"Yeah, what are you doing here?" I say excited with a small laugh.

"Well, Theo came looking for you at mine, then we both went out looking for you when Theo got a call from your doctor saying you're here, I also just want to say how happy I am for you and Theo, he's a good man Shai, don't do that to him again" I can tell he's half joking and half being serious at the end. Does that mean Theo and Miles actually became friends whilst looking for me? "Anyway," he begins again, "I'm going to give you two some space and get a coffee or something"

"You'll come back?" I ask hopefully.

"There's one car between the three of us" he laughs. 

He closes the door behind him and I automatically look straight to Theo, who has a tear stained face. 

"What happened?" I ask trying to sit up, but I can't due to the pain in my belly.

"You've got a stomach ulcer Shai, so you're going to have to rest for and take a long break from this wedding. We can postpone it if you want. I don't want you stressing anymore at all okay?"

Seriously, I've managed to get myself in such state that I made myself ill. The worst bit is I wasn't stressing about the wedding at all. It was all about Miles, I really wanted him at my wedding, I even considered not having a wedding if he wasn't going to be there, but that's all sorted now right. 

"I love you Theo, I want that wedding on the 11th of October"

He smiles and reaches into his pocket revealing a small black box, "talking about love" he says with a wink and hands me the box. I look at him before I even begin to open it and I can see the stress I've put him through. I open the box slowly and see a beautiful silver necklace, reading 'I love you to the mood and back'. It's so lovely and I can't stop myself from tearing up. I hand it to Theo so he can put it on me, and we spend the next half an hour just laughing and joking about so much random stuff.