Chapter Seventy-Six: Bioluminescence

Start from the beginning

Humans are also good at making things complicated. Even insects work more efficiently and with less casualties, relatively.

In the past, I've known humans to be inferior. I still believe that they have a long way to go before evolution makes them as well suited as other mammals, longer because they find ways to reverse the natural systems of survival.

Then again, I do not think Grace is any more perfect or imperfect than I am. I sometimes think she is what I should aspire to embody. However, she is only human. And I am only myself.

Sighing, I wrap my lower body in a towel and shamelessly leave the bathroom naked from the waist up. The addition of covering my chest would require me to brush the rough fabric of the towel against my scars, which had been only recently recovering from the damage done during my last night with Grace.

Megan was boredly sitting on my bed playing with her phone when I arrived.

"Hey." She waved her hand at me.

"Hey. Could you-"

"Hair braided, bra on, shirt on. I know, Zel." She smirked knowingly, tossing her device to the side.

"I was also going to ask you if you can schedule a hair cut for me." She blinked at my statement. "I think I'd like to cut it short again."

"You haven't had it short since-"

"Since my wings were clipped. I know. I was there. The length is just bothering me."

"Was it something Grace said?" She frowned.

"No. Why?"

"Just curious. Did you mention it to her? Or are you just going to show up with short hair? She's only ever seen your hair long."

"Why would my hair length matter?"

"It's change, Zel. And maybe you should just warn her before you suddenly have short hair." I sighed and put my hands up in surrender.

"Fine. I'll talk to her. Whatever." I wrung out my hair as I made my way to my dressers and gathered clothing. Once I'd done my part in dressing, Megan helped me out on my bra and shirt (not that I couldn't, but it was a challenge and she was a natural giver), and I ended up texting Grace while she braided my hair.

Me: Hi

I didn't have to wait long. Once read, she paused for a moment and then began typing.

Grace: hey :) I'm assuming there's a reason you're texting me

Me: Megan wants me to get your approval. I'm considering getting my hair cut short and she thinks I should tell you about it first

Grace: what? Like how short? Like shoulder short or like pixie cut short?

Me: pixie probably I don't know if I'll actually get it but I am considering it and Megan wants your seal of approval

Grace: well yeah you can do whatever you want but rly?????? That short?! why?

Me: no reason

Grace: come on, Zel, I know you well enough to know that everything you do has a reason

"Done." Megan stated as she slid a hair elastic from her wrist around the end of my braid. "Kindly tell your girlfriend that you need to go put pants on." She put her head on my shoulder lightly, making me flinch for a moment. I sighed. I knew if the contact had made fire run through me, I'd have put my head back and relaxed.