Chase Me

I couldn’t count the number of times Liam called after I hung up that night. And I couldn’t count the times I ignored every single call. Mia seemed to know that I was suffering from the break up but didn’t push for any information. She just told me to take it easy on her brother because it’s his first break up and I’m his first real girlfriend.  I think both Liam and I were suffering but the only difference is that he’s willing to fight for our relationship, for us while I wasn’t. I lost the battle even before it started. Well, it must be true that nobody dies a virgin because life seems to fuck me every day.  I was miserable without the guy I was obsessed with and for the first time in my life, I couldn’t do anything about it. I was doing a good job ignoring Liam’s attempts to reach me until Mia cornered me.

“Liz?” Mia called, peeking inside my room.

“Oh hey, Mia. Come in.” I smiled at her but I’m pretty sure I looked tired and worn out.

I patted the space beside me, indicating for her to sit. She sat beside me and studied my face.

“No offense, but you look like shit.” She stated.

“Thanks. You really know how make a girl feel better.”

She chuckled. “Can I ask a favor?”

Though I didn’t think I’d like the favor she’d ask for, I nodded hesitantly.

“Will you talk to my brother?”

“Mia, I—“

“Let me finish first, Liz. I know I may look like a bitch for saying this but I love my brother, Liz. I’m like a second mom to him, you know that, right? And I’ll do anything in my extent to make sure he’s ok. I’ve been told that he’s been coming home late and drunk and I know you’re the reason for it. No, I don’t blame you because my brother’s old enough to decide for himself. But I know that he’s messed up because he just wants to be with you. If you can’t get back together with him, please, give him at least the closure he deserves. And I’m sorry for meddling. I just can’t stand seeing two of the people I love miserable. It’s better if you two talk in person. He’s in New York, you know? He went here to chase you.” She said apologetically.

I smiled at her telling her I understand. As she walked out of my room, I called the person I was supposed to forget.

__o0o__

“Ms. Lizzie?” Louis prompted as I walked out of the car.

“Wait for me here, Louis. I don’t think this would take long.”

He nodded and got back inside the car while I made the most difficult walk of my life. I walked inside the five-star restaurant, looking for the person who turned my world upside down. My eyes immediately landed on him, in their own accord.

“Ms. Carter?” a waited approached me.

I nodded.

“This way please, ma’am.” He led me to the table where Liam was sitting.

I never thought I’d see the hardcore badass fidgety and nervous but I witnessed it at that moment. He stood up when he saw me approaching. The waiter pulled my seat and I sat on it.  Our eyes never left each other even though the waited was asking if we’d like to order. I declined and told the waiter to come back later.

“You want to talk?” Liam asked me. He looked so damn broken that my heart got broken too.

“I think we need to talk about us.”

“Damn right we do.” He agreed.

“Please. It’s not you—“

“Don’t even go there. Don’t even think about giving me the ‘it’s-not-you-it’s-me’ speech. Tell me why you broke up with me, I deserve the truth.” He insisted, glaring at me.