A Life Without Him

Start from the beginning

I smiled gratefully in return.

“And just so you know, Mark and I got back together.” Her eyes twinkled as she spoke.

“Oh my, I’m happy for you, Mia!” I hugged her.

She smiled radiantly.

“Does your dad need anything?” she asked, changing the subject.

“I don’t think so. But can you please check on Sue? I’m also worried about her.”

She nodded. “I’ll go check on her. I’ll also tend to her needs. If you need anything, just give me a call.”

I nodded and she left.

I sighed. It has been stressful for the past few days. I was upset and stressed, a very bad combination. I stood up and walked towards Dad.

“Dad, are you listening? I got a text message from Xavier earlier. We agreed to get engaged very soon. It would help the company, Dad. And…and it’s ok to marry Xavier, right? You always told me to get a rich husband because I’d need someone rich enough to provide for my material needs. I know that you’re only joking when you say that but you actually got a point. Xavier’s from a well-off family. They’d be willing to help our company if we get engaged. And besides, they’re offering a merge between the two companies as soon as we get married. This will fix all the problems, right? I promised I’d take care of all your problems before you wake up, dad. Get better soon, Dad. But take a rest too, okay? This is God’s way to tell you that you need a break from the stress.” I chuckled humorlessly.

I kissed his forehead and sat on the couch again.

Just then my phone vibrated. I opened it and saw a text message from Ella.

‘Heard abt ur Dad. Sorry :( - E’

‘It’s ok. I’m ok…well, trying to be.’ I replied.

‘I’d fly there but I can’t.’

‘Can I ask y not?’

‘Well, let’s just say that the problem starts with an L and ends with an M.’

It’s Liam. Oh gosh, what happened to him? I was panic-stricken.

‘What happened to him?’ I asked worriedly.

‘Almost drunk himself to death. Eric’s afraid that if we leave him for one moment, he’d kill himself one way or another.’

I’ve never felt as down as I had at that moment. Liam was drinking because of me. He didn’t deserve to get hurt like that. Guilt and pain were eating me up. I couldn’t take the thought of Liam hurting. I didn’t want to see him hurt and I’d do everything to take the pain away but I couldn’t.

‘Do me a favor, pls?’ I asked Ella.

‘Anything.’

‘Take care of him for me.’

‘Consider it done. Stop worrying, we got his back. Go take care of ur dad. I wish him well. We all do.’

‘Thanks. Xx’

I stared at Liam’s contact information on my phone. I closed my eyes and pressed ‘call’.

The phone rung 3 times before it was answered by a drunken voice.

“Hellooo?” Liam’s drunken voice answered.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered.

A moment of silence.

“It’s you.” He sounded sober enough.

“I thought you were drunk.” I chuckled.

“I was, not anymore.”

Silence.

“Why did you call?” he asked, not sounding rude—just curious and upset.

“Stop getting drunk, will you?” I asked.

“You broke up with me. You don’t have anything to do with me anymore.”

“I still care about you.” I said, shakily. My tears were already streaming on my face by this point.

“Then why did you break up with me?” he asked softly, hurt.

“There are some things I can’t explain.” I shut my eyes in pain.

“Try. I promise I’d listen.”

“I’m so, so sorry.” I covered my mouth with my hand to stop from sobbing. I hung up but not before I heard a sob at the other line.

Author’s Note

Sorry for the slow update. :(( 3 chapters to go.

But please, vote comment and fan? LJ

Love lots,

Mad

All Rights Reserved 2013 © keepingitreal15