Chapter 20

What happened earlier? I wonder as I try to go to sleep. My mind keeps going over and over what happened and what caused it. I turn to my side and try quiet my thoughts but nothing seems to work.

In the end, I groan in frustration and get up, making my way towards the bathroom to wash my face.

Hmmm that's strange. I say looking at my reflection on the mirror and placing a hand over my chest.

I have this weird feeling in my chest, but what it is? It doesn't hurt, it's just there.

Okay take a deep breath. Maybe I should drink some water. Drying my face, i start heading to the kitchen.

For some reason I feel a mix of emotions. There's stress, sadness, worry. But I don't get why I feel this way.

To my surprise, as I cross the living room I see Wanda sitting at the sofa. Her legs are pulled toward her chest and her hand nervously playing with her bottom lip.

"You can feel it can't you?" She asks me.

Somehow I know what she is talking about.

"Your emotions" I say.

"Yes" she says. I get another feeling of worry from behind and I turn to see Pietro.

"Are you alright Wanda?" He asks and a sudden feeling of relief comes to me. It feels better.

"I'm fine Pietro" she says with a smile.

"Come here" Wanda says and she motions for me to sit next to her. As I do so, Pietro sits next to her other side.

Wanda grabs my hand "there's something special about you" she says.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

"You already know, you just have to accept it" she says. I can feel her concern.

"How am I supposed to do that?" I ask.

"Don't worry, Pietro and I will help you" she says with her Sokovian accent.

"Consider us your older brother and sister okay?" Pietro says.

"How do you say it in Russian?" I ask them. They look at each other and smile.

"You can call me bratishka (big brother in Russian, I think)" Pietro says.

"And I'm your Starshaya sestra (big/older sister in Russian)"

I laugh and smile "I'll try to remember that"

"Pietro" Wanda says as she turns to face him "please leave us, I'll be with you shortly"

Pietro nods and runs back to their room.

"I think you are an empath" Wanda says now that Pietro is gone.

"Well, I have noticed when I turned sixteen, but it wasn't like this."

"What do you mean?" She asks.

"I'm not from here, I came from another dimension"

She nods "it makes sense"

"What does?" I ask.

"Are there any superheroes or mutant in your dimension?" She asks.

"No"

"Exactly, you hadn't noticed your abilities because there are no powers in your world, but now everything is possible."

"But if that the only ability I have, what does that make me?" I ask in a low voice.

"We will find out in time"

"Wanda" I pause "please don't tell the team, at least not until I can control my ability"

"Don't worry that's why I'm here, to help you, I have a strong, unexplainable connection to you but I don't know why" she says and gives me a hug.

"We better go back to bed" I say and start going back to my room. "Oh and Wanda?" I turn to see her "thanks. It means a lot"

Having said that I walk into my room and close the door. As I lay on my side, I'm finally able to fall asleep.

After an hour of sleep I wake up again. I have that feeling on my chest again. Something is wrong. But who is it?

I close my eyes and try to focus, I feel sadness and guilt. I guess I'll walk around and figure out where it comes from.

As I walk towards Steve's room the feeling grows stronger. It's him.

"Cap?" I say and I knock on the door.

There's no answer. I get the handle of the door and hesitate before I try to open the door.

I turn the handle slowly. It's unlocked.

I see him turning on his bed, his body covered with sweat.

"Bucky" he says "I'm sorry"

Oh no. He is having a nightmare. I slowly walk towards him and shake him slightly.

"Cap" I say softly "cap!" I say a little bit lauder but I still get no response.
"Captain!" I slap him as hard as I can.

A burst of pain consumes my hand as I turn to face the wall and away from Steve.

I hear a gasp and turn to see Steve with wide eyes, as soon as I see him awake, I ignore the pain in my hand and walk towards him.

"Hey" I say "you okay?"

"I'm fine" he says, but I can still feel his sadness.

"You're not okay" I say.

"How do you know?" He asks.

Red code! I hadn't thought about that. He can't know about my new ability.

"You're a terrible liar" I manage. That was close.

"How did you know I was having a nightmare?" He looks at me with his baby blue eyes.

"I didn't, I just had a feeling as I walk by your room"

"I'm terribly sorry if I woke you" he says.
"Don't worry, you didn't." I smile "you know what Cap?" I say. He stops looking at the floor and looks at me.

"Everyone has nightmares, even Captain America, you shouldn't be ashamed, after all we're human"

"Thanks, it means a lot" he says with a small smile.

"I won't tell anyone, specially not Tony" I say making him chuckle.

"There we go, that's better" I say. I reach out to grab his hand but I wince.

"What happened to your hand?" He asks reaching out to grab my hand but I move it away.

"You wouldn't wake up so I slapped you" I laugh a little "don't worry Cap, I'm fine" I say and I head for the door.

"Hey Vanessa" he says making me stop "thanks"

"No problem Cap, I'm here to help sir" I do a salute and head back to my room. Before I leave I hear him chuckle again.
-----------------------------
Do you like the story? Comment and vote my wonderful readers.