Chapter 40: aftermath

Suddenly Peters spider sense starts tingling. Something is wrong. His eyes turn to Vanessa just as she starts to fall to the floor. "Um guys?" Peter says. Thanks to his quick reflexes he is able to catch her.

"Something is wrong." Peter says as the Avengers turn to face him.

Steve reaches his hand out and touches Vanessa's forehead making her shiver. "She is burning up."

"We need to give her medical attention immediately." Tony says.

"Call Coulson's plane, it's the safest thing to do right now." Natasha says.

"Don't worry, we are all here with you." Steve says holding her hand. She nods and takes in a deep breath.

Then everything becomes a blur, she couldn't hear or see anything clearly. She feels herself being lifted up and she shivers.

Then she is lying down on a bed with a monitor beeping steadily. "You cannot be in here." Jemma says, "you need to give her some space."
***
As she shivers the monitor starts to beat faster, Daisy runs into Vanessa's room and hurries inside. Vanessa sits up and looks around wide eyed. "What's going on?" Daisy asks sitting next to her. "Are you okay?" She asks.

Vanessa nods and looks around. "What's going on?"

"You were sick after Hydra kidnapped you and you are in our plane."

"Oh okay." Vanessa says but she keep glancing at the door anxiously.

"Hey." Daisy says taking her hand "try to calm down." "I can't." She says "are they going to put me in quarenten and study me, will everyone know,..." She was about to continue but Daisy stops her. "I'm not going to let them do that, okay? I'll get you out if I have to."

"Thank you Daisy." Vanessa says giving her a hug. "No problem, I know what it's like. Oh and try to get some rest, it will take a while until we reach the tower."

Vanessa nods and watches as Daisy walks away. She takes a deep breath in and her eyes grow heavy once again.
***
As I open my eyes, I see that I'm back in my room. I feel a light weight by my legs and through the little light provided by the moonlight I see Peter lying there, his mouth slightly open and dark circles under his eyes.

"Peter?" I say in a low voice but there is no response. "Pete?"

"Five more minutes." He mumbles making me chuckle slightly. "Alright." I say getting up and putting a blanket over him. When I look at the floor I see Steve sleeping on the floor. How long have they being here? I grab another blanket for Steve and as I'm about to cover him I notice something on his hand. I slowly walk towards it and take it from him. To my surprise he is reading The Hunger Games, I separate the page he stayed at and placed the book on my nightstand. He must be really tired since he didn't notice I was up.

The next morning I'm awoken by the sound of Steve and Peter having a conversation.

"Peter?" Steve says shaking Peter slightly.

"Hmmm." Peter says rubbing his eyes.

"I think you should go home. You've being here all night."

"I'm alright Cap." He says yawning.

"At least go clean yourself up, I'm sure she will wake up soon."

"Alright." Peter says and both of them walk out.

After a few minutes my phone buzzes next to me. Turning on my side, I grab my phone and check.

Steve: hey, how r u?

I chuckle and shake my head. Then slowly removing the covers I get up and start walking towards the kitchen, where Steve is probably at, at this hour of the day.

I slowly make my way over, using the wall as support.

When Steve sees me his face changes to concern and he runs to my side. "What are you doing up? You should still be resting."

"I know, I know, I'm just tired of being in bed, and I feel a lot better."

"Better is not good enough." He looks at me at sighs. "I guess it alright, you do need some fresh air."

"Thank you." I say giving him a hug which he returns.

"So tell me, what are you doing up?"

"I just wanted to tell you in person to not be texting like a modern person."

"Am I that bad?"

"No, it's that that you are bad at texting like a modern person,its just not who you really are."

"Yeah." He says chuckling. "I agree, it just feels weird, but thanks for your opinion, and don't tell Tony."

"You got it Captain." I say saluting.

"Don't tell Tony what?" He asks crossing his arms, faking to be mad.

"That I'm out of bed when I shouldn't be." I say casually.

"Oh, well, there's nothing we can do about that now." He says chuckling. "I guess you don't always follow the rules."

"I learned from you."

"By the way." I say changing the subject. "Where's Peter? I thought I heard him earlier."

"I told him wash up." Steve says.

"Okay, thanks Cap." I say and walk towards the living room where I see Peter lying on the couch.

"Hey Pete." I say softly. He opens his eyes a little. "Hey Nessa." He says and closes his eyes again. "Wait." He says sitting down. "You're awake!" He says and gives me a hug which I return and then he grunts a little. "Sorry about that" he says. "What's wrong?" I ask him as he lies back down. "Nothing, I'll just rest for a little bit and then we can do whatever you want." "Pete?" I say but he is already sleeping.

I chuckle and sit next to him closing my eyes, when I open them again I see all the Avengers resting in the living room which makes me smile.