Chapter 19: the secret mission

As we get closer to the tower, Steve slows down and our surroundings quiet down enough for opus to talk.

"So what do you think?" Steve asks me, slightly looking back.

"Peggy is really amazing! She is so cool! I want to hear all the stories she has from before."

Steve chuckles "I'm glad you two get along" he says, his voice trailing off a little at the end.

When we reach the tower Steve opens the door for me. "Thank you" I say and hurry in.

We enter the elevator and wait until we reach the main floor in the Avengers tower, trying to find something to distract us as we wait.

When the doors of the elevator open I see three unfamiliar faces, a guy and a girl, and another man standing nearby.

Could they be who I think they are? Could this be related to the mission Nat was talking about?

When I step out of the elevator I get a weird feeling.

"Glad you could join us." Tony says.

As we walk towards the twins I feel pressure in my head and start to feel weak. My knees wobble and I lose control, falling to the floor but Steve catches me in time.

"Woah, are you okay?" He asks me.

I press my temples and try to open my eyes, only to see and that Wanda is on the floor too.

"What just happened?" Clint asks.

Wanda takes a deep breath and Pietro helps her get up. "I'm not sure" Wanda responds.

Steve helps me up and I give him a nod standing on my own.

"I'm fine Cap, just a little headache, maybe I just need to rest." He nods but looks around at the team who are exchanging glances.

"Hello." The other new unfamiliar face says. "My name is Vision, please to meet your acquaintance."

Wow, he's so formal. I think to myself and offer a handshake. "Nice to meet you Vision." I say and he hesitantly reaches out until we shake hands. I give him a small smile with he returns before turning to the team.

"So, I'm guessing this is your secret mission?" I ask and they nod.

"They will be staying with us from now on." Tony says.

"Well, welcome." I say with a smile before feeling a small pounding on my head. "I know we just met, but I think I'll go rest for a bit." I say and no one argues.

Bruce walks closer to me and whispers, "you okay?"

"Yes, I just have a headache."

"I'll go get something for you then." He says.

"Thanks Bruce."

As soon as I reach my room, I close the door and lay on my bed, feeling it sink under my weight.

What just happened? I have a small pain inside my head.

I hear a knock on the door making me sit up. Is Bruce back already?

"Come in"

To my surprise Wanda and Pietro come in.

"Can we talk?" Pietro asks.

"Sure" I say and make space in my bed for both of them.

"Um-do you by any chance have any abilities?" Wanda asks hesitantly.

"Nope, I'm not an enhanced human." I say shaking my head making Pietro and Wanda look at each other.

"You don't have any powers?" Pietro asks.

"Being human means not having powers right?"

"Yeah sorry" Pietro chuckles.

"We need to find out what happened" Wanda says "this had never happened before, so maybe there's a connection or something."

"We need to think about what could have caused this thing, whatever it is" I say.

"Until we do" Pietro says "you're stuck with us, we adopted you as part of our family"

"Really?" I ask.

"Wanda has a weird connection with you, so yeah really" he says with a smirk.

"I guess it's settled then" I say with a smile "we need to tell the team though"

Wanda's eyes widen as she looks at me and she immediately looks at her brother.

"Don't worry" I say "you can trust them"

"Yeah, but let's just say we didn't make the best first impression." Wanda says looking down.

"Don't worry, I didn't either." I say with a chuckle and they relax.

"Let's go then" Pietro says and we head for the door.

The Avengers are gathered in the living room waiting for us. When we walk in Steve is the first one to stand up.

"Is everything okay?" He asks.

"Yeah we're fine" I say.

"Did you guys figure out what happened?" Tony asks.

"It's not that easy" I say.

"It's complicated" Wanda says.

"Make we should take some tests" Bruce suggests.

"I don't think tests will help much," I say and they all look at me "I'm pretty sure whatever happened is beyond physical"

"Do you know something we don't?" Tony asks.

My heart beat increases. Thump thump thump thump.

"I...." I pause and search for the words "I just need time to figure out" I say and turn on my heels to walk back to my room.

As I walk through the hall I hear their conversation.

"We are spending more time with her" Wanda says "don't worry, we'll figure it out"

"You were kinda tough with her Tony" Steve says.

"I know" Tony says with a sigh.

I lock the door and sit in the corner of the room. Take a deep breath and focus on something else. I say to myself, trying to stop the tears forming in my eyes.
After a minute I start to clam down.

Just then the door open and Wanda walks in.

"How did you?" I didn't finish the sentence. Right she has special abilities, never mind.

"You okay?" She asks

"I'm fine" I take another deep breath.

"Don't hold back your emotions" she says sitting next to me,

"What?" I ask confused.

"Don't hold back your emotions it will only make it worse"